The Marxist View of Patriotism and Nationalism

Reptilia

PI Member
An interesting video that argues that far from being opposed to Nationalism and Patriotism, in most anti-imperialist struggles it's the Communists who lead the Patriotic defense of the nation. And that makes perfect sense. The Patriotic struggles in Russia, China, Korea, Vietnam and many African and Latin American countries were led by the Communists. Indeed, the same can be said of Poland and countries like it. Under Communism, Poland had national pride, a strong army, and a strong economy. Today, Poland is the bitch of the USA and Germany. Of course, Germany is the bitch of the US Régime, but Poland is even further down the food chain, with many of Poland's young women in the brothels of Western Europe and the USA, and Polish men doing menial jobs where ever they can find them.

I was listening to an old recording of an episode of 'Moral maze' on BBC radio 4 last night and the topic under discussion was 'high culture'. One contributor, whose name escapes me, stated that the finest example of 'high culture' in the 20th century was the the Soviet Union. He also remarked that the state made a attempt to spread the culture among the masses. I thought it was an interesting observation.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
I was listening to an old recording of an episode of 'Moral maze' on BBC radio 4 last night and the topic under discussion was 'high culture'. One contributor, whose name escapes me, stated that the finest example of 'high culture' in the 20th century was the the Soviet Union. He also remarked that the state made a attempt to spread the culture among the masses. I thought it was an interesting observation.

Very true a chara. In the Soviet Union, a worker could attend a ballet at the Bolshoi for the price of a couple of beers. Today, it costs over 200 US dollars to attend the same ballet. And the workers did attend the ballet and the opera in the USSR.

Aesthetician

PI Member
That's a really big question a chara, but in short, it tries to impose the aesthetic of industrial production on life.
Does it not attempt to find, through abstract & unusual shapes, the erotic beauty present in any art that came before it, possibly even surpassing it in that category?

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Does it not attempt to find, through abstract & unusual shapes, the erotic beauty present in any art that came before it, possibly even surpassing it in that category?

The abstract and unusual shapes are really mathematical abstractions, closely associated with bourgeois science and industry.

Reptilia

PI Member
Very true a chara. In the Soviet Union, a worker could attend a ballet at the Bolshoi for the price of a couple of beers. Today, it costs over 200 US dollars to attend the same ballet. And the workers did attend the ballet and the opera in the USSR.
Chomsky says something similar about his relatives who lived in New York in the 40s and 50s. They had little or no education and worked menial jobs, but were all involved in left wing politics. According to Chomsky, they regularly attended Shakespeare plays, operas etc. It's hard to imagine that happening nowadays.

Aesthetician

PI Member
Chomsky says something similar about his relatives who lived in New York in the 40s and 50s. They had little or no education and worked menial jobs, but were all involved in left wing politics. According to Chomsky, they regularly attended Shakespeare plays, operas etc. It's hard to imagine that happening nowadays.
Chomsky is a haughty member of some makey-uppey group of anarchs. Reminds me of Trotsky. Hate the guy.

Aesthetician

PI Member
The abstract and unusual shapes are really mathematical abstractions, closely associated with bourgeois science and industry.
True art is the amalgamation of magic craft with innovation, within the context of tradition. This was d'Annunzio's, Collingwood's & pretty much any Modernist's (politic OR literary) maxim, simplified.