The Lessons of Libya - A War That Brought Total Societal Collapse

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you seen this video, Tadhg?

Amber Rudd passes note during hustings and shuts down speech on Saudi arms sales

No I didn't. Amber Rudd is a Saudi bitch, it seems.

johnhan279

PI Member
Haftar is advancing on capital.

Haftar forces just recently managed to get back to operation one Natya class minesweeper in port of Benghazi, that has been out of service since 2011. Without it being dyrdocked and refitted. So they probably needed engineers (hi Egypt) and some spare parts. Anyone who knows a thing or two about navy could tell me how this could be done with UN arms embargo in place? Even if it went through Egypt, it had to be imported from somewhere else. Same with the parts for Mi-35s, MiG-21s, MiG-23s and recently even managed to reactivate two 2K12 Kub batteries.

They even manged to reactive this goddamn SCUD. They were all supposed to be bombed in 2011

johnhan279

PI Member
Libya: Tripoli government declares military alert

Libya's internationally recognised government in Tripoli has declared a military alert after eastern forces loyal to powerful General Khalifa Haftar, said
they had moved towards the western part of the country.

[...]

A video released by the LNA media office showed a convoy of armoured vehicles and pick-up trucks mounted with heavy guns on the road.

"In fulfilment of his [Haftar's] orders, several military units moved to the western region to purge the remaining terrorist groups located in their last hideouts," the LNA said in a statement with the video.

The statement gave no details, but the area appears to be the coastal road linking the eastern city of Benghazi, the LNA's main base, with Tripoli in western Libya.
Pretty ironic if power in Libya ends up being centralized by a military officer strongman again..

Well I say ironic, but in fact for the West the campaign in Libya was never about humanitarianism or democracy in truth. They just didn't like Gaddaffi and any option was preferable to him. Any option including no option.

johnhan279

PI Member
Battle rages for Libya's capital, airport bombed

A warplane attacked Tripoli’s only functioning airport on Monday as eastern forces advancing on the Libyan capital disregarded international appeals for a truce in the latest of a cycle of warfare since Muammar Gaddafi’s fall in 2011

[...]

Witnesses said on Monday afternoon the LNA had lost control of the old airport and withdrawn from positions on the airport road. Forces allied to the Tripoli administration were seen inside the airport, while clashes with the eastern forces were raging south of the airport, a Reuters reporter at the scene and residents said.

On Sunday evening, LNA forces had moved up from the airport, coming as close as 11 km (7 miles) from the city center before retreating, residents said.

Also, apparently around the same time, a GNA L-39 performed an airstrike against LNA troops outside of Sirte. Those unfamiliar with the conflict can be forgiven for wondering how it is, after so much NATO-issued fire and fury, that there are still Libyan warplanes buzzing around...

Karloff

PI Member
Libya: Tripoli government declares military alert

Libya's internationally recognised government in Tripoli has declared a military alert after eastern forces loyal to powerful General Khalifa Haftar, said

Pretty ironic if power in Libya ends up being centralized by a military officer strongman again..

Well I say ironic, but in fact for the West the campaign in Libya was never about humanitarianism or democracy in truth. They just didn't like Gaddaffi and any option was preferable to him. Any option including no option.
It may be the case that elites develop personal grudges and then use the assets of the states they control to satisfy them. That it's not all just about a masterplan (ie just business).

The way Hillary laughed with a reporter when she heard of how Gaddafi had been beaten to death. There were rumours that GW Bush held a grudge against Saddam. The Emir of Qatar who helped greatly with the invasion of Libya held a definite grudge against Gaddafi and those Persian monarchies are still steeped in the Arabian culture of yesteryore when such grudges had to be answered.

One thing i will say about the Brits is that they never operate this way, it's never personal - just business. Whether that is morally better or not i leave it up to the reader.

jpc

PI Member
I don't think there are any lessons.
More monumental stupid evil.
Cheered on by a news media that treat's government press releases as gospel.
So like always was and always will be.
The innocent die and suffer.
The feigned outrage not even noticed.
A cat trapped in a tree for a few days would be better prime news.

Clanrickard

PI Member

It goes to show that behind all the western spin , there is a lot of feeling and support for Gaddafi in libya.

i regret not visiting the country when it was stable
I know people who have been there. You'll struggle to find anyone who has a fondness for that brutal dictator.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know people who have been there. You'll struggle to find anyone who has a fondness for that brutal dictator.

You know some bitter Jihadists and Gombeens who weren't allowed to ply their trade in Libya. The vast majority of Libyans are now crying over their lost Paradise on Earth.

Top Bottom