Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

The Journal asks "Should voting be Compulsory"

IrishJohn

PI Member
Agreed.
Compulsory voting could mean fail to cast your vote without a valid reason and you lose it for five years.
Fail again and you only get it back on payment of a substantial fine.
Fail a third time and you lose all voting rights permanently.

That will get the phukkers hopping.
If they brought in that law I would refuse to vote on principle.

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
Agreed.
Compulsory voting could mean fail to cast your vote without a valid reason and you lose it for five years.
Fail again and you only get it back on payment of a substantial fine.
Fail a third time and you lose all voting rights permanently.

That will get the phukkers hopping.
I don’t think non voters give a toss to be honest. Roughly half of all registered voters don’t bother to vote, ever. These levels of apathy in a democracy are truly shocking. Voting should never be compulsory, maybe incentivise. More carrot, less stick.

IrishJohn

PI Member
I don’t think non voters give a toss to be honest. Roughly half of all registered voters don’t bother to vote, ever. These levels of apathy in a democracy are truly shocking. Voting should never be compulsory, maybe incentivise. More carrot, less stick.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. "

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Nope.

Remove the vote entirely from those who fail to use it.
The printing of their useless names is a cost we can all do without.

Last edited:
Top Bottom