Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

The Irishman - movie

jon 1000's of irish f

Donator
PI Member

Myles O'Reilly

Top Bloke
Donator
PI Member
Hoss are you "offended" by the film about Danny Greene called Kill the Irishman as well?

Karloff

PI Member
Scorsese is a magnificent craftsman, largely snubbed by Hollywood but he has been the best director in America for a long time now.

There is something about the gangster genre however that is the perfect building block for the very best drama, something Shakespearian in the grand betrayals, honour, loyalty, corruption, familly, ambition and love all of which make up the recipe in them.

mikeo

PI Member
Its a highly acclaimed movie but I take exception to its title 'The Irishman'
Its not as if we are all criminals in this country - God knows we have worked hard for every penny we have earned
But to attach criminality to Irish people per se seems like racism
I doubt if any other country would put up with this shite

The Irishman (2019) - IMDb
I thought the original title, of the book was much cooler....." I Heard You Paint Houses". The first words Hoffa spoke to Sheeran over the phone. It was a great book, ...Trying to be a Catholic, now...I say I won't read stuff like this, but I always fall into it.:cautious:.

Does anyone know if it will be released in theaters?....Has anyone seen it?

There is some redemption in it though. Sheeran starts out as a very tough, but likeable 'Knockaround' guy from Pa. Serves in Europe in WW2 ..If I remember right, his unit spent more time on the front than any other. Mentions killing prisoners as well. He hooks up by chance with a big time boss...Buffalino...all down hill from there. ....He does mention dropping off rifles for the Kennedy hit. About the redemption ....at the end, in a nursing home his daughters bring a Msgr. friend to hear his confession. After that Sheeran stopped regular eating, would eat some lemon Italian ice to please the Wife of A.G. Brandt , who liked him a lot,...as did Brandt.

I don't take offense at the title at all, ....though the orig. would have been better ;)

mikeo

PI Member
Scorsese is a magnificent craftsman, largely snubbed by Hollywood but he has been the best director in America for a long time now.

There is something about the gangster genre however that is the perfect building block for the very best drama, something Shakespearian in the grand betrayals, honour, loyalty, corruption, familly, ambition and love all of which make up the recipe in them.
Completely agree......The only films, by him that I've seen are gangster,...but he is a genius at them. What impresses me the most is his liberal use of the addictive music of the era, to set the mood.

Anglophile

PI Member
Joe Biden paid 'The Irishman' and his Teamster/Mafia goons to make sure that a newspaper didn't
publish a story about him before a Senatorial election in 1972.

He narrowly won that election.

TheIrishRight

PI Member
Its not as if we are all criminals in this country - God knows we have worked hard for every penny we have earned

ok boomer

Karloff

PI Member
Excellent movie, i was especially impressed by Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa - he really brought the character to life. The deageing technology works very well - who knows maybe we will be seeing films starring De Niro in 200 years time rendered by artifical technology? Really interesting take on The Kennedys, Nixon and the politics of the era.

We do what we do when young when it feels like we have power and then we get old and have a lot of time to think about it and the consequences and our conscience is also influenced by those around us (giving it a kind of artificial quality) Frank feels guilt for Hoffa and seeks redemption because to those around him at the end it is murder (but was normal when he was around gangsters) but he feels nothing for the unarmed Wehremacht soldiers he murdered because to those around him they were Nazis.

I wouldn't say his best in 30 years as some people do but the best film by him i have seen in a while. I admire Scorcese's quest for something more important than life.

ShumanTheHuman

Donator
PI Member
Thought it a fairly pointless affair. Pesci spending half the movie asleep in a car pretty much summed it up. The de-aging process was just weird. Pacino gives his Hoffa socks, Stephan Graham is great, DeNiro is just boring. The "Whats it all about, Frank?" last third as he wallows in his own piss in nursing homes was achieved with great economy in last few moments of Goodfellas as Ray Liotta picks up the newspapers in his slippers. Scorsese is on autopilot. Silence from just a couple of years ago shows he is still capable of greatness. Unlike this snorefest

subversive writer

PI Member

What you have there is a bad case of triggering what aboutism. Ya might have picked it up in college from a social marxist. It said the irish man not all irish men. Getting triggered because a bunch of Jews make a movie called the irish man says more about the triggeredee then it does about the movie tbh

Top Bottom