The "Irexit Freedom Party" - a UKIP-inspired party to launch in September

Macushla

PI Member

The big political scoop of September was possibly going to be the announcement of the SF presidential candidate. However, may the launch of a new party steal the Shinners' thunder? Supporters of Irexit and the supposed grand narrative of rising Western populism surely would hope so! Apart from back to school and the Dublin Horse Show, the new Irexit Freedom Party may prove to be quite a significant event of the next couple months.

The new party's launch, to be held in the Bonnington Hotel in Whitehall (formerly the Regency Hotel, until that fella was shot in it and it dropped a star) will include the presumed leader of this new party Hermann Kelly. Kelly, a journalist for the Irish Catholic and political consultant to Britain's UKIP, wants to bring Ireland out of the E.U. alongside Britain. An Irexit, the party's raison d'etre, is a very ambitious goal. The new party is evidently modeled off UKIP and hopes to present a repackaged Brexit to the Irish public in the form of Irexit.

The party are charging eight euro for entry to their AGM. It'll be an interesting thing to see how they play out. The times they are a changin'!

Cathal Ó'Chontúirt

DEPORTED
PI Member
You'd wonder will the event at the Bennington be held in one of their linen closets.

Colonel Zachariah

PI Member
If yez leave too will that mean two walls?...

D

Deleted member 1106

Non Registered Member

The big political scoop of September was possibly going to be the announcement of the SF presidential candidate. However, may the launch of a new party steal the Shinners' thunder? Supporters of Irexit and the supposed grand narrative of rising Western populism surely would hope so! Apart from back to school and the Dublin Horse Show, the new Irexit Freedom Party may prove to be quite a significant event of the next couple months.

The new party's launch, to be held in the Bonnington Hotel in Whitehall (formerly the Regency Hotel, until that fella was shot in it and it dropped a star) will include the presumed leader of this new party Hermann Kelly. Kelly, a journalist for the Irish Catholic and political consultant to Britain's UKIP, wants to bring Ireland out of the E.U. alongside Britain. An Irexit, the party's raison d'etre, is a very ambitious goal. The new party is evidently modeled off UKIP and hopes to present a repackaged Brexit to the Irish public in the form of Irexit.

The party are charging eight euro for entry to their AGM. It'll be an interesting thing to see how they play out. The times they are a changin'!
hopefully it's got more of the zest of the present ukip and not just farage style civic nationalism.

Macushla

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish the new party all the best. It sounds like it'll be a more main stream Nationalist party than the NP.
Personally I would consider Irish nationalism more mainstream and salable than anything seen as too crypto-Brit.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Personally I would consider Irish nationalism more mainstream and salable than anything seen as too crypto-Brit.

Well, I suppose it depends how they will present themselves. The media will certainly present them as the Irish UKIP. They'll have their work cut out to bypass that media spin. It'll be important for them to have a very specifically Irish Nationalist program.

Macushla

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I suppose it depends how they will present themselves. The media will certainly present them as the Irish UKIP. They'll have their work cut out to bypass that media spin. It'll be important for them to have a very specifically Irish Nationalist program.
I sincerely hope they do. I would've avoided use of the term "Irexit". It's hokey for one, but it's too obviously "the Irish Brexit", when we really shouldn't be basing our nationalism on any other country - and least of all on the Brits. From what I've seen of their twitter they seem to be going down the route of muh fish and trade deal with Pakistan, which isn't what we should be arguing for when we argue against the EU.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
I sincerely hope they do. I would've avoided use of the term "Irexit". It's hokey for one, but it's too obviously "the Irish Brexit", when we really shouldn't be basing our nationalism on any other country - and least of all on the Brits. From what I've seen of their twitter they seem to be going down the route of muh fish and trade deal with Pakistan, which isn't what we should be arguing for when we argue against the EU.

Must have a look at that.

Top Bottom