• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The Invasion and Plantation of Ireland

Esatdigiwank

PI Member

GlesgaPapist

PI Member
It's the same thing in every country. In Scotland there used to be an advertisement on the tele, in which a man would read aloud a letter he was sending back to his family, which explained how he found it difficult and missed home, but would persevere. At the end of the advert, it was revealed that the author of the letter was a Scot who'd migrated to Nova Scotia.

OneScotland001.md.jpg

Esto Praesidium

PI Member
On the evidence of that creepy photo a quick trawl of Grindr or the tattoo emporiums should turn him up..

Also...

How are these tossers able to stroll around country after country Malta, Italy, Ireland etc etc never stopped, completely unhindered.. like they're local bus routes.. Are there no immigration police left anywhere..
??
No human being is illegal you bad racist person. It's 2020. Are you living in the Middle Ages?

Peter Schlemihl

PI Member
EnMun-IXYAYspm9.md.pnghttps://twitter.com/orlaredchan/status/1329458038563082251?s=20

Not sure how true but it happened before . The government 's advice don't travel home for Christmas !! We are being taken for naïve idiots . The flight was from Beirut to Dublin .

EnMutJ0XMAE21Km.md.jpg
I’m as critical of asylum claimants as anyone but if it was a flight from Beirut then I’d imagine that they were Syrian refugees relocated from Lebanon under the Irish Refugee Protection Programme - we agreed to accept around 200 Syrians. In fairness, the difference between a Nigerian or an Albanian and a Syrian is significant, a similar percentage of Syrians are rejected as Nigerians are accepted. Far from an ideal time to relocate them though, I agree there. In fact, as far as I am aware, the arrival was only to occur after restrictions were lifted - oh well, what else are we to expect?

Templar

Donator
PI Member
I’m as critical of asylum claimants as anyone but if it was a flight from Beirut then I’d imagine that they were Syrian refugees relocated from Lebanon under the Irish Refugee Protection Programme - we agreed to accept around 200 Syrians. In fairness, the difference between a Nigerian or an Albanian and a Syrian is significant, a similar percentage of Syrians are rejected as Nigerians are accepted. Far from an ideal time to relocate them though, I agree there. In fact, as far as I am aware, the arrival was only to occur after restrictions were lifted - oh well, what else are we to expect?
We the Irish people did not vote for this we had an opt out agreement in place as does Denmark and the UK. FG took it upon themselves to opt in and take these Migrants.

Peter Schlemihl

PI Member
We the Irish people did not vote for this we had an opt out agreement in place as does Denmark and the UK. FG took it upon themselves to opt in and take these Migrants.
I agree but the actual issue with the asylum system is that thousands of the asylum claims - invariably African or otherwise Pakistani, Albanian and Georgian - are false. Regardless of whether one agrees with accepting Syrian refugees, at least they are actually refugees. The truth is that the asylum system is so inefficient that the Government has to participate in other international protection programmes in order to help people that actually require international protection.

Florence

PI Member
Catherine Day who produced the recent report on Ending Direct Provision (which is govt policy) was just on Drivetime (around 5.30pm). I did not hear the whole interview but I did hear her suggest they get rented accommodation from the start in the smaller towns of Ireland as she admits there is pressure on accommodation in Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc. Their rent would be paid under the HAP or other schemes. She also said it could be a help to depopulated towns where the local school could close due to lack of children, to have new families coming in.

She said she felt the majority of irish people would support this (ie proposals in her report). Her 'expert' group had no genuinely independent peo0ple on it - 3 NGOs and senior or recently retired senior public servants.

Her 215 page report is available online but it seems impossible to get a hard copy of it. Is this deliberate to discourage us to read it in full?

Peter Schlemihl

PI Member
Catherine Day who produced the recent report on Ending Direct Provision (which is govt policy) was just on Drivetime (around 5.30pm). I did not hear the whole interview but I did hear her suggest they get rented accommodation from the start in the smaller towns of Ireland as she admits there is pressure on accommodation in Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc. Their rent would be paid under the HAP or other schemes. She also said it could be a help to depopulated towns where the local school could close due to lack of children, to have new families coming in.

She said she felt the majority of irish people would support this (ie proposals in her report). Her 'expert' group had no genuinely independent peo0ple on it - 3 NGOs and senior or recently retired senior public servants.

Her 215 page report is available online but it seems impossible to get a hard copy of it. Is this deliberate to discourage us to read it in full?
A poll from 2020 found that only 35% of the public were in favour of accepting refugees and I’m fairly certain that the 35% that were in favour had war-weary Syrians from a war-zone rather than middle-class Nigerians in mind. The report was drafted by asylum activists and civil servants, it is far from a citizens’ assembly or referendum. The report is destined to be divisive and I’m convinced that Day is aware of this. Out of curiosity, were the Department of Housing’s comments mentioned in the interview?

Edit: I listened to it, it was actually on the Department of Housing’s report. Worth a listen from all I reckon, Day was unimpressive - ‘Who is more homeless then a refugee, we must ask?’ questions Day. Well, in Ireland, the homeless are. Day also admitted that current asylum claimants resident in direct provision are remaining in Ireland, regardless of actual asylum status - ‘it is important to stress that most of the applicants for asylum who are here, now, are here to stay’. Sounds as though Day considers the amnesty a certainty. I suspect support is less solid than Day thinks.

Last edited:
and so the opinion of 'some functionary in a suit' will carry more weight than the opinion of the electorate at the polls ?

Reactions: BSA
Top Bottom