The Invasion and Plantation of Ireland

Florence

PI Member
A male panelist on the Brendan O'Connor morning show today critisised the headline in John Mooney's article in the Sunday Times (post 8171) because it states the nationality of the prime suspects in the BOI scam. He said it should not have been stated as it was 'not relevant.' I suspect he wanted to say it was racist but played safe by using the word relevant. Would he have raised the issue if the prime suspects had been, for example from Leitrim?

It is quite normal to see information in headlines and in the actual article that give information, about suspects or those actually accused, that could be deemed irrelevant eg -

Blonde 25 year old Rathmines single mum of three charged with shoplifting in Brown Thomas
or
60 year old one legged Donegal man main suspect in vicious attack on asylum seeker

Would this panelist (not sure who it was as I tuned in well after the programme started) have complained if the panel had been discussing todays papers with headlines as I instance?

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
Nigerian fraudsters in West Dublin are running a scam targeting BOI customers. Who are the students allowing their accounts to be used? Mmm
Previously foreigners caught with bank accounts for money laundering have been given slaps on the wrist by our judges who didn’t even give them a criminal record. There is no deterrent for these criminals .

Irish McCeltunstein

Donator
PI Member
Previously foreigners caught with bank accounts for money laundering have been given slaps on the wrist by our judges who didn’t even give them a criminal record. There is no deterrent for these criminals .
There's a phone credit scams that you can do literally nothing to prevent (bar never using a phone) being operated by companies in the UK. They can take all of your phone credit and claim you signed up to allow it. The phone providers themselves are complicit in the scam by agitating for a law which stated if a 3rd party company tells them (without evidence!) you consent to have credit withdrawn or funds added to your monthly bill, they will fulfill the transaction, no questions asked and claiming no liability.

Turns out the phone providers and 3rd party companies (Zamano for instance) were in partnership and what I suspect, though cannot prove is that the providers were sharing your number and details with these 3rd parties. You'd have to get onto ComReg to complain and demand a refund but it's slaps on the wrist or just no action taken. Eir practically disbanded their entire Customer Service sector, so it's useless getting clarification from them. Even if you mange to get onto them, they'll send you in circles.

Even if you manage to get onto ComReg and get your refund, you'll have to go though the entire rigmarole again as there are no penalties for the scam, they only have to refund the money they took. Most people don't bother trying to get it back and will fail if they try. Zamano were eventually fined for this practice; but as always, the fine was negligible and they continued with the scam. Zamano eventually left the phone scam industry and entered the Oil trading market...

It's now perfectly legal for companies to simply take money from your pocket. Banks have little scams like this going on a regular basis too. A few years back, HSBC were caught defrauding the public to the tune of billions by adding fees to their card transactions without justification. They ruined the life of the whistle-blower who exposed the scam.

The levels of corruption in all quarters are so vast as to appear Satanic.

DrPat2

PI Member
A male panelist on the Brendan O'Connor morning show today critisised the headline in John Mooney's article in the Sunday Times (post 8171) because it states the nationality of the prime suspects in the BOI scam. He said it should not have been stated as it was 'not relevant.' I suspect he wanted to say it was racist but played safe by using the word relevant. Would he have raised the issue if the prime suspects had been, for example from Leitrim?

It is quite normal to see information in headlines and in the actual article that give information, about suspects or those actually accused, that could be deemed irrelevant eg -

Blonde 25 year old Rathmines single mum of three charged with shoplifting in Brown Thomas
or
60 year old one legged Donegal man main suspect in vicious attack on asylum seeker

Would this panelist (not sure who it was as I tuned in well after the programme started) have complained if the panel had been discussing todays papers with headlines as I instance?
It was Conor Pope, Irish Times Consumer Affairs Correspondent. However he appeared to not be alone in that sentiment, later there was warning of a serious right wing movement in Ireland and that they pose a real danger and the speaker said he was not an investigative journalist and couldn't find out where they were getting their money from. Have a listen to RTE Radio 1 podcast of the Newspaper Panel segment of the show starting at 0:45:01 and again at 0:52:58

Last edited:

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
It was Conor Pope, Irish Times Consumer Affairs Correspondent. However he was not alone, later there was warning of a serious right wing movement in Ireland and that they pose a real danger and he couldn't find out where they were getting their money from. Have a listen to RTE Radio 1 podcast of the Newspaper Panel segment of the show starting at 0:45:01 and again at 0:52:58

Trying to demonise their political opponents. This is at a State level in Ireland

What the hell is going on?

My guess would be a drug war as in nigerians and their foot soldiers fighting it out, the drug trade has taken a big hit for everyone, as in due to lockdown and previous busts by gardai has made a lot of drugs out there very sparse, and maybe people owe money or looking to move on others, but this is only a long shot in the dark.

Top Bottom