• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Blog The HSE Smear test debacle.

A thread to discuss the unfolding smear test scandal and the culture of secrecy in the HSE.

Vicky Phelan took a legal case against the HSE after it emerged that they had misdiagnosed her smear test and then deliberately
acted to hide knowledge of her condition from her, the ensuing several year delay basically turning a treatable condition with over 90% probability of success into a likely death sentence. She won her case and was awarded 2.5 million or so.

We only know about the extent of this problem and the culture of cover up in the HSE
because Vicky Phelan refused to sign the usual confidentiality agreement.
Otherwise none of this would have come to light

It turned out subsequently that at least 17 women have died in complete ignorance
that their smear test was misdiagnosed and was actually positive for cervical cancerous cells.
It turns out now that another 1500 women were not included in the audit which turned up these errors.
So It seems very likely even more deaths will to come to light.

There are many issues here to discuss such as:
  • The culture of secrecy and lack of accountability in the HSE
  • Culture of using legal threats, costs by the HSE as a means of bullying patients into silence
  • The use of private for profit laboratories in the US for testing.
  • What is best for the Organisation itself coming before what is best for the patients.
  • Incompetence and underfunding leading to medical errors and poor medical outcomes etc
  • The fraction of our medical budget going towards legal payouts

Last edited:

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
Mar 17, 2016
I don;t know if I have a lot to say on this because it's hard to talk at length when you are trying to extract your jaw from the floor and secondly the bottom line for me is that notwithstanding the fine health professionals we do have in this country, the pestilence of caliguan careerism is so widespread that mere "reform" ain't gonna just cut it here. Anyway, I hope that Phelan lady and the others so impacted at least have the chance to become the assassins of this coterie of vampire politicians.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member

And this is what is important for the flutes in the Dail.
yes, priorities indeed. nice to see zappone 'fisting' there. and the guy beside varadkar looks like hes going to whip it out. as for the banner which reads - equality in sports - thats about the most ridiculous thing ever. what a mad country ireland is now.

Una

PI Member
May 12, 2017
Gay Games ?? That's ridiculous, they're making it 'a thing', Why can't they just mellow down & mix with the rest of us, without Flaunting their gayness?

in my opinion,...the HSE is a cartel, controlled by BigPharma, who overlord our Government, & will use anyone to promote the Billion €uro HPV Vaccine. (part of Agenda 21). My first instincts are they 'Withheld' the results, to UP the Death Stats from cervical cancer in order to sell more HPV.

Una

PI Member
May 12, 2017
I don;t know if I have a lot to say on this because it's hard to talk at length when you are trying to extract your jaw from the floor and secondly the bottom line for me is that notwithstanding the fine health professionals we do have in this country, the pestilence of caliguan careerism is so widespread that mere "reform" ain't gonna just cut it here. Anyway, I hope that Phelan lady and the others so impacted at least have the chance to become the assassins of this coterie of vampire politicians.

Someone said it already...., has to be the Worst Government in the History of the State.

Bad dog

PI Member
Nov 2, 2017
yes, priorities indeed. nice to see zappone 'fisting' there. and the guy beside varadkar looks like hes going to whip it out. as for the banner which reads - equality in sports - thats about the most ridiculous thing ever. what a mad country ireland is now.

Zappone is a right looking yoke. Imagine that thing is a public representative. The fella next to vradkar looks like a country boy, thinks the gays are going to jump on him any second and do awful gay things to him.
Anyway the state of them, what fecking games are they going to so? The fat fella on the right is obviously a swimmer but obviously not the kind of swimmer you'd see winning. The freaky face between the two in the suits is a goalie or someone with a fetish for wearing gloves. Can't figure the rest of them.

Top Bottom