Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The Genocidal Roman Invasions of Britain and Gaul

Zosimus

PI Member
The Romans were brutish administrators. They weren't innovators at all. They took their metalwork and horsemanship from the Celts, their military tactics and art from the Greeks and their mathematics and science came mostly from Egypt. The were the forerunners of today's bland technocratic society.

Pitirim Sorokin classified both modern and Roman civilisation as 'sensate' materialistic civilisations (in contrast to non-practical and mystical 'ideational' civilisations such as India and medieval Europe and balanced 'idealistic' societies like Renaissance Europe and classical Greece).

What strikes me about Roman civilisation is how unexotic it is compared to medieval civilisation. The Romans think in such neat lines, such bright primary colours. There is a lot to admire about the Roman genius, even if it was a somewhat phillistine genius. Modernity was for many an attempt to do away with the Christian inheritance and become Roman again, but it is impossible for a Christian to become a pagan. Ancient Rome is in some ways technocratic paganism done right. We are vulgar amateurs at it because Christian civilisations can never leave Christ without going over the Devil. We invite outer darkness wherever we stray from the light.

In France they take pride in being Gauls by blood and Romans by civilisation (they've always been somewhat uncertain as to what to make of the Franks). Their heart is with Vercingetorix but their head acknowledges its debt to Caesar.

Reactions: jpc

Colonel Zachariah

PI Member
Modernity was for many an attempt to do away with the Christian inheritance and become Roman again, but it is impossible for a Christian to become a pagan.
The reality is that the Christians adopted much of paganism in order to be attractive to pagan converts, look behind any and all saints days or festivals to find it's pagan predecessor...

Reactions: jpc

Colonel Zachariah

PI Member
Re OP Caesar wanted to be the roman Alexander, Pompeius bate him to the 'magnus' bit but Julius became divine and his name replaced Rex...

Zosimus

PI Member
The reality is that the Christians adopted much of paganism in order to be attractive to pagan converts, look behind any and all saints days or festivals to find it's pagan predecessor...

That's because the early Christians didn't have enough orange dye and bowler hats available to observe pure Christian ritual. Am I wrong in thinking that one of the RBI degrees involves drinking from a human skull? Pure Bible religion right there, devoid of popish pomp and superstition.

jpc

PI Member
The USA is the new Roman Empire:

Both are citizens of the empire. Those that are not are Aliens or Slaves

Both murder Presidents (Emperors) who stray too far from the message

The Senate

Overwhelming Militaristic society with slavish obedience to the state

Both adere to Pagan Gods

(I'll think of some more soon)
The bread and circus seems to be unraveling at the moment.
The mob is restless.

jpc

PI Member
Julius Caesar was a man living in fear of the moneylender. To attempt to pay off his enormous debts, he launched a genocidal invasion of Celtic Western Europe for slaves, loot and land.

Don't forget the Dacians!

Colonel Zachariah

PI Member
That's because the early Christians didn't have enough orange dye and bowler hats available to observe pure Christian ritual. Am I wrong in thinking that one of the RBI degrees involves drinking from a human skull? Pure Bible religion right there, devoid of popish pomp and superstition.
My but yer a sensitive soul when corrected, if it's skulls yer after can I suggest the popish Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini...

Zosimus

PI Member
My but yer a sensitive soul when corrected, if it's skulls yer after can I suggest the popish Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini...

Fair enough colonel. I'm just a little bit on edge these days because the government is increasing the black (and orange and purple) population through immigration.

_85269538_orangeghana1519cfd4a393c752d.md.jpg

Top Bottom