The End of UTV Ireland, Virgin snaps up the channel

Less than two years old and born on the 1st of January 2015, UTV Ireland is the newest channel on Irish TV.

However it looks like it may well be going the way of Channel 6, (Remember that?)
and on the road to be confined to the history books as UTV has reticently been sold to ITV Networks and it no longer wants the Irish version in the South and sold of its interest to TV3!

The same TV3 recently was taken over by Liberty Global which also owns Virgin Media Ireland.

So does this mean TV3 will operate separate to UTV Ireland, or will we see another Irish channel confined to the history books ?

TV3 owner Virgin Media buys UTV Ireland for €10m

ITV sells the fledgling Dublin-based television channel to Liberty Global subsidiary

Virgin Media has bought UTV Ireland from ITV plc for €10 million in a deal that unites UTV Ireland with TV3 under the same ownership.

Virgin Media said the agreement with ITV, which bought the two UTV channels last autumn, will also see it take over a 10-year supply deal for ITV-produced programmes including soap operas Coronation Street andEmmerdale.

On completion of the acquisition, UTV Ireland will become part of Virgin Media, a subsidiary of John Malone’s cable television and broadband group Liberty Global.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...rgin-media-buys-utv-ireland-for-10m-1.2718283

darthhead

Political Irish
I think i have watched UTV Ireland once, i had Virgin and it was the real UTV i had, then they swapped over to UTV Ireland and we ended up with such a poor relation.

Ended up canceling Virgin and got one of those FTA boxes with ITV included.

Top Bottom