The Dubliners vs The Wolfe Tones

Who was Ireland's best rebel and ballad group?

• The Dubliners.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • The Wolfe Tones

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
When you hear Luke Kelly doing Raglan Road or Ronnie doing McAlpine's... but then you hear Tommy Byrne sing Joe McDonnell, Boston Rose or belting out the Celtic Symphony and you just cant decide which you like more.

Maybe from a purely musical point of view the Dubliners were better. The Wolfe Tones at their peak were a very find band indeed - but I don't think they ever got the intensity of this.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
luke my favorite, but sure they're all mighty, but this has to be one of the greatest tunes of all time that not everyone knows

Cael

Political Irish
Never considered the Dubliners as a rebel band, always thought they played traditional Irish tunes aimed at the Dispora.

I would have thought the Saw Doctors were more a rebel band.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Never considered the Dubliners as a rebel band, always thought they played traditional Irish tunes aimed at the Dispora.

I would have thought the Saw Doctors were more a rebel band.

The Dubliners wouldn't have set out to be a rebel band, but they were all from Republican stock and did play rebel songs. I think as the Troubles wore on and the media targeting of any Republican sympathy became more and more vicious, they did pull back from doing these songs.

I once saw a video of a photograph of James Joyce digitally manipulated to look as if the viewer was woozy and drunk. I think the background music was some of this crap.

Murtinho

Donator
Premium Account
I love both but if push came to shove I'd go for the Dubliners. Ronnie Drew's voice is a thing of beauty.

Top Bottom