The downfall of Clerys RTE One

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
Watching the TV programme Clearys on RTE one, you can pick it up on RTE 0ne +1

What is interesting is the crap attitude of the staff and the huge sense of entitlement.

As the business was struggling and was sold to new owners who were not Irish they tried to introduce measures to make the business profitable.

However the staff didnt like this and refused to co-operate.

One guy said, he was asked if he ever timed himself working and how long he took to do that job, his reply was " i haven't timed my self in 40 years and im not about to start doing it for you!"

Another worker said the owners were not Irish and did not understand Irish retail!

Clearly it  was the staff who had poor productivity and didn't want to co-operate with the company or its owners.

No wonder they went bust!

ergo2

PI Member
Threads
The way the new owners could sell the business without complying with their legal obligations was disgraceful

Liverpool

Political Irish
Threads
ergo2 said:
The way the new owners could sell the business without complying with their legal obligations was disgraceful
Yea that was bad but I think it may have been receivers that purchased the business not someone interested in continuing the losses.

Threads
I thought it was a very poor programme, compared to the councillors for sale programme. They made no effort to track down Natrium, or to question politicians as to why they have not changed the law to allow asset stripping like this to take place.

The entire show revolved around a couple of fellas who worked there all their lives. Sad, but not really newsworthy. All Natrium did, is what capitalists do. Quelle surprse.

ergo2

PI Member
Threads
Makavelli said:
I thought it was a very poor programme, compared to the councillors for sale programme.  They made no effort to track down Natrium, or to question politicians as to why they have not changed the law to allow asset stripping like this to take place.

The entire show revolved around a couple of fellas who worked there all their lives. Sad, but not really newsworthy.  All Natrium did, is what capitalists do.  Quelle surprse.
Yes, the programme should have covered the legal three card tricks whereby the concessionaires and staff were shortchanged

London

Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
ergo2 said:
Yes, the programme should have covered the legal three card tricks whereby the concessionaires and staff were shortchanged
I think the programme should have centered around the ridiculous Irish employment laws, the lads that were there for 40 years were rude to their new employers and should have been reprimanded.

Unfortunately Irish employment law is one of the strongest in the world for the employee which hampers modern employment practices.

Threads
London said:
I think the programme should have centered around the ridiculous Irish employment laws, the lads that were there for 40 years were rude to their new employers and should have been reprimanded.

Unfortunately Irish employment law is one of the strongest in the world for the employee which hampers modern employment practices.
Not strong enough it seems, since it was possible to lock out so many workers, who I believe were unionised.  Luckily for you,  being rude is not a dismissable offense.

ergo2

PI Member
Threads
the entire escapade was sharp legal practice, in effect separating assets from liabilities.

If a small family business did this the Revenue would be all over them

OP
OP
Sinbad

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
Makavelli said:
Not strong enough it seems, since it was possible to lock out so many workers, who I believe were unionised.  Luckily for you,  being rude is not a dismissable offense.
Irish employment law is by far too string for the employee, Being rude should be a dismissal offence once the disciplinary procedures have been carried out correctly.

For far too long people in this country have had it easy, try changing employment hours for a member of staff to suit the needs of the business and you could face legal action!

Retail has changed, unfortunately for the 40 year worker they still think its mon - fri 9-5 operation where they get pay rises every year and a nice pension at retirement.  Those days are long gone.

Threads
Sinbad said:
Irish employment law is by far too string for the employee, Being rude should be a dismissal offence once the disciplinary procedures have been carried out correctly.

For far too long people in this country have had it easy, try changing employment hours for a member of staff to suit the needs of the business and you could face legal action!

Retail has changed, unfortunately for the 40 year worker they still think its mon - fri 9-5 operation where they get pay rises every year and a nice pension at retirement.  Those days are long gone.
You must the days of children going up chimelees for ya.  Ochon ochon.

OP
OP
Sinbad

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
Makavelli said:
You must the days of children going up chimelees for ya.  Ochon ochon.
What? lol!

You must live for the days of old, and expect everything to be the same as it was before WW2!

Top Bottom