Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The demise of Labour

ted08

PI Member
Under Gilmore, Labour swept to their highest number of seats in the history of the party in the 2011 General Election. Gilmore for Taoiseach was a slogan during the election campaign. How times have changed. A wipeout is widely predicted and while of a different scale, the closest example is the wipeout FF suffered in 2011. The worst election for Labour was in 1933 where they got 5.7% of the vote or 8 seats out of 153. In more recent times, 1987 was their worst performance where they gained 6.4% of the vote, or 12 seats out of 166, which saw Garrett and Spring being unceremoniously turfed out of office by the electorate. 10% has been a steady mark in elections since, with the exceptions of Spring tide in 1992 and the most recent 2011 result. It is expected that they will replicate the 1987 result in terms of percentages (6.4%), but with them likely to be quite transfer toxic, I don't see them gaining 12 seats, out of 166, like they did in 1987 this time out. I have them pegged to drop to 7 seats. What say PI, and what does the future hold for Labour?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(Ireland)

ted08 said:
Under Gilmore, Labour swept to their highest number of seats in the history of the party in the 2011 General Election. Gilmore for Taoiseach was a slogan during the election campaign. How times have changed. A wipeout is widely predicted and while of a different scale, the closest example is the wipeout FF suffered in 2011. The worst election for Labour was in 1933 where they got 5.7% of the vote or 8 seats out of 153. In more recent times, 1987 was their worst performance where they gained 6.4% of the vote, or 12 seats out of 166, which saw Garrett and Spring being unceremoniously turfed out of office by the electorate. 10% has been a steady mark in elections since, with the exceptions of Spring tide in 1992 and the most recent 2011 result. It is expected that they will replicate the 1987 result in terms of percentages (6.4%), but with them likely to be quite transfer toxic, I don't see them gaining 12 seats, out of 166, like they did in 1987 this time out. I have them pegged to drop to 7 seats. What say PI, and what does the future hold for Labour?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(Ireland)
Well if you were to ask me what the ILP stood for, I couldn't tell you, and that is not a matter of principle, by the way. I mean, what sort of people? What is their hinterland? Who is their tribe?

Haven't got one, never had one, as the old song goes.

Top Bottom