• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The definitive black music enriching white culture thread.

GodsDog

PI Member
Nov 16, 2015

D

Deleted member 685

Non Registered Member
To take just one snapshot out of an almost infinite number.

Yes, just because white people are playing that music doesn't mean its not black culture. It seems to me you are trying to appropriate the best of black culture for yourself and turn it into a subset of your own culture. That is Cultural Imperialism.

GodsDog

PI Member
Nov 16, 2015
Lovely, but is this not black culture. How is it enriching white culture?

Who cares. This is just another _roc "troll the racists" thread. :p

So instead of falling into his trap, I'm just using it as an excuse to post some good/interesting tracks

• Banned
OP
roc_

roc_

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
Who cares. This is just another _roc "troll the racists" thread. :p
This thread is simply a celebration, that's all.

Yes, just because white people are playing that music doesn't mean its not black culture. It seems to me you are trying to appropriate the best of black culture for yourself and turn it into a subset of your own culture. That is Cultural Imperialism.
I'm really strugling to follow you.

Are you referring to the type of thing how some say Elvis Presley "appropriated" the blues and other styles of those who came before him? In particular, from Big Bill Broonzy. But he drew on many black blues artists, and even Ike Turner was in the studio three years before him.

However, many would not agree with you. For example, on Elvis' death, James Brown, the “Godfather of Soul”, said, “I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother.” He said, “Elvis and I are the only true American originals. There’ll never be another like that soul brother.”

That's what I'm talking about.

Btw, do you know one of the reasons why I originally set up this thread? - It was observing some of the "modern", "white" electronica that you were posting up. Whatever about its mediocrity - to my well educated ear I could strongly hear the influences of black artists from twenty and thirty years before.

It seemed fairly incongruous considering some of your other contributions on this forum.

Anyway, point being, what you call "cultural appropriation" has nothing to do with any of this. How can you even begin to think about proscribing against the feeling that hearing something awakens in your heart and soul and makes you want to dance and/or make that noise yourself?! Y[BGCOLOR=transparent]ou are going down an old slippery totalitarian path if you try it - as we actually discussed a number of posts above, where we looked at the two examples of Ruhollah K and Adolf H. and their proscriptions about music. - Quite obviously, these type of ideas as they and you are apparently trying to promote are complete and horrible nonsense.[/BGCOLOR]

• Banned
OP
roc_

roc_

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
A number of the black Jazz songs that came across strongly into white culture have been posted just above. - Though I think it would be good to try and track its genesis before it hit our own culture. To understand its heart and soul a bit better.

In that vein, the following is from the musician probably most responsible for creating Jazz, Buddy Bolden.

However, Buddy Bolden was never recorded. Nor did he write his tunes down, he played by ear. This amazing talent lived only through the aural memory of his contemporaries, and those who came afterwards.

But here is a someone making a fairly good rendition of one of his amazing, ground-breaking tunes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 685

Non Registered Member
This thread is simply a celebration, that's all.

I'm really strugling to follow you.

Are you referring to the type of thing how some say Elvis Presley "appropriated" the blues and other styles of those who came before him? In particular, from Big Bill Broonzy. But he drew on many black blues artists, and even Ike Turner was in the studio three years before him.

However, many would not agree with you. For example, on Elvis' death, James Brown, the “Godfather of Soul”, said, “I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother.” He said, “Elvis and I are the only true American originals. There’ll never be another like that soul brother.”

That's what I'm talking about.

Btw, do you know one of the reasons why I originally set up this thread? - It was observing some of the "modern", "white" electronica that you were posting up. Whatever about its mediocrity - to my well educated ear I could strongly hear the influences of black artists from twenty and thirty years before.

It seemed fairly incongruous considering some of your other contributions on this forum.

Anyway, point being, what you call "cultural appropriation" has nothing to do with any of this. How can you even begin to think about proscribing against the feeling that hearing something awakens in your heart and soul and makes you want to dance and/or make that noise yourself?! Y[BGCOLOR=transparent]ou are going down an old slippery totalitarian path if you try it - as we actually discussed a number of posts above, where we looked at the two examples of Ruhollah K and Adolf H. and their proscriptions about music. - Quite obviously, these type of ideas as they and you are apparently trying to promote are complete and horrible nonsense.[/BGCOLOR]

My objection is to the title of this thread. If it was something like "Great Black Music," I'd agree. I don't see why black music has to be justified in terms of its utility to white culture.

• Banned
OP
roc_

roc_

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
My objection is to the title of this thread. If it was something like "Great Black Music," I'd agree. I don't see why black music has to be justified in terms of its utility to white culture.
Why not?

This forum was explicitly set up to give a platform to those who wanted to express themselves, 'no holds barred', on the topic of black immigration to Ireland, and related.

One particular theme that has arisen strongly from this topic on this forum is about the desirability of cultural insularity, "an Ireland for the true 'Gaels', living as true Gaels always have, and so on in that kind of ridiculous vein...".

My contribution to that is, "well, hold your horses there. I actually relish the vast majority of these inpouring cultural influences. They enrich our culture."

So this thread only takes one aspect of this colour that is recently arriving into this country, and tries to shine a light on a part of it. Point is, on a forum like this, conscious of the main topic of discussion, the thread title is entirely appropriate.

I might even try to do another one soon, 'the definitive black fashion enriching white culture thread'.

D

Deleted member 685

Non Registered Member
Why not?

This forum was explicitly set up to give a platform to those who wanted to express themselves, 'no holds barred', on the topic of black immigration to Ireland, and related.

One particular theme that has arisen strongly from this topic on this forum is about the desirability of cultural insularity, "an Ireland for the true 'Gaels', living as true Gaels always have, and so on in that kind of ridiculous vein...".

My contribution to that is, "well, hold your horses there. I actually relish the vast majority of these inpouring cultural influences. They enrich our culture."

So this thread only takes one aspect of this colour that is recently arriving into this country, and tries to shine a light on a part of it. Point is, on a forum like this, conscious of the main topic of discussion, the thread title is entirely appropriate.

I might even try to do another one soon, 'the definitive black fashion enriching white culture thread'.

I'm not saying you have broken any site rules. I'm pointing out that your thread title attempts to appropriate black music as a tributary of white culture.

• Banned
OP
roc_

roc_

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
I'm not saying you have broken any site rules. I'm pointing out that your thread title attempts to appropriate black music as a tributary of white culture.
I was not talking about site rules. I was talking about the disposition of the site, and thus my thread title in dialogue with that disposition.

Musical artists (at least those worthy of the name) do not 'appropriate' music, whether they are white or black.

It simply does not work like that.

Of course the inspiration and respect and give and take goes both ways. e.g. Here's What Happened When Kraftwerk Returned To Detroit – Telekom Electronic Beats

D

Deleted member 685

Non Registered Member
I was not talking about site rules. I was talking about the disposition of the site, and thus my thread title in dialogue with that disposition.

Musical artists (at least those worthy of the name) do not 'appropriate' music, whether they are white or black. It simply does not work like that.

Of course the inspiration and respect and give and take goes both ways. e.g. Here's What Happened When Kraftwerk Returned To Detroit – Telekom Electronic Beats

I wasn't talking about the artists, I was talking about you trying to appropriate black music and express it in terms of utility for white culture. I find this to be very aggressive - imperialist even.

Top Bottom