Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Music Video The definitive black music enriching white culture thread.

OP
roc_

roc_

PI Member
Just a quick one from the other end of the spectrum. With karaoke lyrics so people can sing along. :)

Dadaist

PI Member
Really good documentary here about how the music that rose up in the 70's and 80's came about on the back of the breakdown of liberal capitalism. It was a period of creativity that occurred outside of it. But then when liberal capitalism again rose up, it assimilated all of that creativity and made it its own. Highly recommended. Here's a trailer:

I must check that out. Looks fascinating.

If you haven't seen Rubble Kings, it is a must. It goes back a bit further and focuses on the insane gang ultraviolence/wars of NY from the early 70's on. It is an astonishing story of how the emergence of hip hop and block parties brought about a relative truce between the gangs. This in turn brought about a creative explosion in underground music in NY. No doubt feeding into the wider creative landscape in NY at the time. You will look at the likes of Afrika Bambaataa etc. in whole a new light after watching it. Powerful stuff.

Last edited:

Καπανεύς

PI Member
Musical innovation is full of danger to the State, for when modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the State always change with them. Coloured people music is barbaric. Even thinkers such as adorno thought this was the case.

OP
roc_

roc_

PI Member
Musical innovation is full of danger to the State, for when modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the State always change with them. Coloured people music is barbaric. Even thinkers such as adorno thought this was the case.
True some people think that.

"... But these are laws or customs that date back to one thousand four hundred years ago, Imam Khomeini! Does not it seem to you that the world has gone on in the meantime? In keeping with those laws, you have even exhumed the ban on music and alcohol. Explain to me: why drink a glass of wine or beer when you are thirsty or eaten is a pity? And why listening to music is a sin?..."
RUHOLLAH KHOMEINI: Islam prohibits alcoholic beverages and that's it. He absolutely forbids them because they lose their head and prevent them from thinking healthily. Music also tarnishes the mind, because it brings with it similar enjoyments and ecstasies to drugs. Your music, I mean. Usually it does not exalt the spirit: it puts it to sleep. And it distracts our young people who are poisoned and no longer worry about their country.

"... Also the music of Bach, Beethoven, Verdi?..."
RUHOLLAH KHOMEINI: Who are these names I do not know. If they do not cloud the mind they will not be banned. Some of your music is not prohibited: for example the marches and hymns to march. We want music that exalt us like the marches, that make young people move rather than paralyze them, that cause them to worry about their country. Yes, your marches are allowed.

May I hazard a guess you're another fan on here of "the marches and hymns to march"? :rolleyes:

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member

Certainly contemporary Black American music seems to be all morally, aesthetically and spiritually corrupting. I used to hate Ulster folk listening to "Hip Hop" or "R and B". Music is very powerful spiritually and therefore people should be very careful about music they allow into their souls.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
You said it, sista.

No I don't listen to Hitlerite music. The values though of the Hitlerites in terms of "sexual liberation" and might is right were quite close to those of much of contemporary American Black music. I do sometimes listen to marching songs of the Legion of the Archangel Michael/Romanian Iron Guard because I find that it has a haunting quality to much of it.

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member
Some great black music around, but is it not part of black culture? Are you not guilty of cultural appropriation in saying it is "enriching white culture?" Is that not a claim that black music is now part of white culture, and not truly black culture any more? It reminds me of T.S. Elliot saying that the Celtic languages should be preserved because they enrich the English language.

The Equaliser

PI Member
I don't want to hear all this modern angry fucking wog music, if one could call it music. I don't listen to it, I don't understand it nor do I entertain white Dolly Parton fans that listen to it either. You see these fuckwits pull up beside you in their shitty car, head bobbing back and forth, with the thump, thump, thump bass measuring off the fucking Richter scale. I want them dead.
If you put reggae or blues on I don't mind. That has culture and artistry.

Top Bottom