The 2018 US Mid-Term Elections

Count Bobulescu

Donator
Premium Account
The 2018 mid terms kick off tomorrow with statewide primaries in Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, and West Virginia.

Idaho, Nebraska, Oregon, and Pennsylvania are on May 15.

Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky and Texas are May 22.

100% of the House, 33% of the Senate and 39 Governor races, and a similar number of state legislatures are at stake.

WV is getting the most media attention at the moment, because of the real possibility of a Republican Senate upset by an anti establishment candidate.

Don Blankenship a wealthy coal mine owner, recently out of prison for mine safety violations that contributed to the deaths of 29 miners, is surging at the end. He has claimed he was Trump, before Trump was Trump. Trump himself has urged WV voters to reject him.

R's are worried because if he wins the primary, he'll likely lose to the incumbent in the fall. It's potentially another Judge Roy Moore (Alabama) scenario.

He has called Senate leader Mitch McConnell, Cocaine Mitch, because ships owned by the family of Mitch's Chinese wife, US Transportation Sec Elaine Chao, were found to be transporting cocaine.

Ballotpedia is good no spin site for factual info.

Main Page - Ballotpedia

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I certainly hopes he prevails in the Primary.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Even if the dem Mancin wins I still want the likes of mitch exposed. The only thing harder than wising up a democrat is wising up a republican

OP
OP
C

Count Bobulescu

Donator
Premium Account
I certainly hopes he prevails in the Primary.
I agree that Congress could use a good leadership clean out on both sides of the aisle, but I'd be more careful than you about who I'd replace them with.....

OP
OP
C

Count Bobulescu

Donator
Premium Account
Even if the dem Mancin wins I still want the likes of mitch exposed. The only thing harder than wising up a democrat is wising up a republican
I don't like either Nancy or Mitch, and wish they were gone, (along with my own rep, Nancy's #2 Steny Hoyer) but I do acknowledge that both are very effective legislative leaders.

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
Premium Account
Is it likely to be a Democratic landslide?

Must be the first test of Trumps presidency.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I don't like either Nancy or Mitch, and wish they were gone, (along with my own rep, Nancy's #2 Steny Hoyer) but I do acknowledge that both are very effective legislative leaders.
That fool has got to be close to a 100 and he still wants to be Speaker. Songbird is probably dead already and he still will not resign.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
ot if the economy has not cra
Is it likely to be a Democratic landslide?

Must be the first test of Trumps presidency.
Not if the economy has not crashed it won't

OP
OP
C

Count Bobulescu

Donator
Premium Account
A digest of articles from a daily email............

• Primary season 2018 kicks off in earnest tomorrow, with voters heading to the polls to choose their Democratic and Republican picks to run for governor, US Senate, and US House in Indiana, Ohio, North Carolina, and West Virginia. [Vox / Dylan Scott, Tara Golshan, and Ella Nilsen]

• Simply put, there's a whole boatload of races, and for mini explainers on the most important ones, you should head over to this mega-explainer compiled by the Vox 2018 team: Dylan Scott, Tara Golshan, and me. [Vox / Dylan Scott, Tara Golshan, and Ella Nilsen]

• But for the purposes of today's newsletter, let's focus on the Ohio governor's race to replace term-limited Republican (and 2016 presidential contender) John Kasich. [Cleveland.com / Seth Richardson]

• Numerous outlets (including Vox) have described this race using the word "wacky," for good reason. This race has a lot going on: a couple of outsider candidates giving the mainstream Democrat and Republican candidates a headache, including one who has spoken favorably about Syrian strongman Bashar al-Assad. [Vox / Dylan Scott]

• On the Republican side, you have Mike DeWine, the state's attorney general and a former US senator. DeWine is the establishment favorite, but he's facing a challenge from Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor, who has been positioning herself as a more conservative, pro-Trump figure (she opposes Medicaid expansion in the state, which Kasich supported). [Cincinnati Enquirer / Jessie Balmert]

• On the Democratic side, you have Richard Cordray a former state treasurer and the first director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the agency tasked with bringing Wall Street to heel after the 2008 recession. Cordray has progressive Sen. Elizabeth Warren's backing, but he's also being challenged by Dennis Kucinich, a super-antiwar former Congress member and (not very serious) presidential candidate back in the day. [WKLU / M.L. Schultze]

• Kucinich has some ties to a pro-Assad group and has gone to Syria to meet with the dictator, including for an interview broadcast on Fox. [Guardian / Ben Jacobs]

• Tomorrow will decide which Republicans and Democrats get to compete with each other in the fall. Also on the ballot: an initiative to get rid of gerrymandering in Ohio and replace the current system with a nonpartisan one. [Vox / Andrew Prokop]