#takebackthecity top trend on Irish twitter.

I fully agree. But, from what you're saying it seems you would also be against Irish Patriots taking over empty buildings to house the homeless and protest against the Régime's criminal policies.
If the owner of that empty building gives consent and receives compensation for the use?
I've no problem.
Otherwise, why should any of us bother our hole to work.

In not supporting the régime. Im with the person who invested their savings in buying this building.
The squatters are going through a teenage phase. Like acné.
There seems to be 1000's behind these marley arsed little wankers and their 'cause'. Why aren't they all pulling together, buying derelict property and then renting it out at a fair Price? What's this I hear? Tumbleweed tumbling past..

The land development agency is going to use Public Land but Two thirds of the housing will be private housing with only one third social housing .

so basically , the government is going to give public property to Developers to make a fortune , probably the same developers that bankrupted the country the last time round and had the tax payer via NAMA pay off all their loans while they continued to live in their multi million euro mansions in D4 etc

I don't get what is the matter with people. This country is undergoing a homeless crisis yet some people are celebrating being able to prevent homes being built for 5000 families. There's also the matter of people who want to save the Magdalene laundry in Dublin, the place should be demolished and replaced with affordable housing or Social housing, not kept as some sort of relic or sold off to become a hotel. Something good should come from a site that was so evil and did so much damage.

Nicenin

Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
It's not a different issue. Who do you think rules Ireland? Those landlords and cheap employers do. They firmly believe that the right of private property is greater than the right of the Irish nation to survive. They believe that their private property gives them the right to set anyone in the world to work on it. Irish people should have no priority. If a Pakistani is willing to work cheaper for them, then it is a denial of their private property rights to force them to employ an Irish person.
Be very careful of following this line of thinking, a Chara.

Firstly re vacant properties. I am genuinely terrified that the Government will start to seize private property to house migrants. I used to live in the increasingly gentrified Brixton area of London. The owner of the house I used to live in is repeatedly now being approached by local services nosing into how many rooms she has free and will she take in refugees. When I hear Eoghan Murphy hinting at CPOs for vacant properties or a vacant home tax I get chills. Property owners must resist such proposals at all costs in the national interest.

Re landlords, the only landlords that should face your ire are the REITs who with the support of Government are trying to gobble up as much property in the country as possible by any means possible so the only landlords you'll have left will be two large corporations setting market rents as they please in a de facto oligopoly.

The Government are driving ordinary landlords out. It's an offence to discriminate as to whom you want in your property, which means many applications to adverts posted on the likes of Daft go unresponded to. The landlord quite rightly is protecting himself. It's also an offence to discriminate against someone who qualified for HAP payments. However the HAP payment to the landlord is automatically stopped by the local authority if the tenants bounces their contribution in a month. So the notion of HAP payments being guaranteed is bollocks. Also, the property undergoes an inspection by the local authority if you stupidly enough let to a HAP tenant. One landlord who agreed to take a tenant on the HAP was presented with a refurbishment bill by the local authority in the sum of 3k. When he refused he was then reported to the RTB and sued.

If a tenant doesn't pay the rent on time it's like pulling hens teeth getting them out. The process can go on for years. By the stage the landlord has lost rental income and if he has a mortgage may have to hand the property back to the bank.

Even if your property is in negative equity and arrears you have to pay tax on the rental income.

Add to that the new rules that came in two years ago vis a vis the rent caps. The savvy and sharp landlords seeing what was coming immediately (and quite rightly) put rents up by 40% overnight, but they had no choice. The reasonable and easygoing landlords who were charging below market rate because they had a good relationship with sitting tenants then got screwed because nobody can now raise the rent by more than 4% in (I think) an 18 month period. So two identical apartments in a unit, one could be let out presently at 1,000 Euro and the one next door at 1,500 Euro purely because the landlord charging the lower rent wasn't mercenary enough. Even if a sitting tenant then leaves and a new person enters, the landlord is forbidden to charge the new market rate to the new tenant! Only by undertaking substantial refurbishments to a unit now can a landlord caught in the trap raise the rent.

What the Government have done now is made Rachtmans out of previously very easy going landlords. Properties are let by word of mouth rather than online adverts and potential occupants strictly vetted in advance even of an interview. The rest are moving to Airbnb and short term corporate lets to fall outside the remit of the RTB in order to be able to select who they want in their property and what they can charge.

The vast majority of landlords do not wish to be conducting themselves in such a manner - a long term well paying good tenant is gold to a landlord. But the Government have given them no choice.

Don't fall into the trap of attacking small private landlords.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Be very careful of following this line of thinking, a Chara.

Firstly re vacant properties. I am genuinely terrified that the Government will start to seize private property to house migrants. I used to live in the increasingly gentrified Brixton area of London. The owner of the house I used to live in is repeatedly now being approached by local services nosing into how many rooms she has free and will she take in refugees. When I hear Eoghan Murphy hinting at CPOs for vacant properties or a vacant home tax I get chills. Property owners must resist such proposals at all costs in the national interest.

Re landlords, the only landlords that should face your ire are the REITs who with the support of Government are trying to gobble up as much property in the country as possible by any means possible so the only landlords you'll have left will be two large corporations setting market rents as they please in a de facto oligopoly.

The Government are driving ordinary landlords out. It's an offence to discriminate as to whom you want in your property, which means many applications to adverts posted on the likes of Daft go unresponded to. The landlord quite rightly is protecting himself. It's also an offence to discriminate against someone who qualified for HAP payments. However the HAP payment to the landlord is automatically stopped by the local authority if the tenants bounces their contribution in a month. So the notion of HAP payments being guaranteed is bollocks. Also, the property undergoes an inspection by the local authority if you stupidly enough let to a HAP tenant. One landlord who agreed to take a tenant on the HAP was presented with a refurbishment bill by the local authority in the sum of 3k. When he refused he was then reported to the RTB and sued.

If a tenant doesn't pay the rent on time it's like pulling hens teeth getting them out. The process can go on for years. By the stage the landlord has lost rental income and if he has a mortgage may have to hand the property back to the bank.

Even if your property is in negative equity and arrears you have to pay tax on the rental income.

Add to that the new rules that came in two years ago vis a vis the rent caps. The savvy and sharp landlords seeing what was coming immediately (and quite rightly) put rents up by 40% overnight, but they had no choice. The reasonable and easygoing landlords who were charging below market rate because they had a good relationship with sitting tenants then got screwed because nobody can now raise the rent by more than 4% in (I think) an 18 month period. So two identical apartments in a unit, one could be let out presently at 1,000 Euro and the one next door at 1,500 Euro purely because the landlord charging the lower rent wasn't mercenary enough. Even if a sitting tenant then leaves and a new person enters, the landlord is forbidden to charge the new market rate to the new tenant! Only by undertaking substantial refurbishments to a unit now can a landlord caught in the trap raise the rent.

What the Government have done now is made Rachtmans out of previously very easy going landlords. Properties are let by word of mouth rather than online adverts and potential occupants strictly vetted in advance even of an interview. The rest are moving to Airbnb and short term corporate lets to fall outside the remit of the RTB in order to be able to select who they want in their property and what they can charge.

The vast majority of landlords do not wish to be conducting themselves in such a manner - a long term well paying good tenant is gold to a landlord. But the Government have given them no choice.

Don't fall into the trap of attacking small private landlords.

Landlordism is not neutral. It changes society - they way that drugs changes society, but in a much more profound and destructive manner. Of course its not all roses for the landlords, they do have their problems, but society ends up distorting itself to allow landlords to seek rent on the most basic of human needs, i.e. shelter. Society has collapsed since Margaret Thatcher started selling off millions of council houses. Many of those council houses are now being rented out by private landlords to working class families - families who would have had those council houses from the state in the 1970s. More and more of the social product is going on paying rent and mortgages, and less and less on producing and rearing children - along with other healthy social activities. If you look around Ireland today, you see that the Native Irish are in social collapse. If anything with any energy is done in Ireland these days - its nearly always migrants doing it. The Irish are too depressed and exhausted.

Una

Donator
Premium Account
I live in an era where fag flags, abortion propaganda and union jacks are plastered everywhere. The odd derelict building means nothing in comparison.
Think Again...., a lot of them were bought by Cerberus, Hammerson, Eagle Star, Oakfield, LoneStar, Kennedy Wilson, BlackStone Globalists, especially derelict very central, Georgian or not, areas, & intend to Rent the Hell out of Ireland...!
We will then be Leasing Our Country Back from them !
They've bought huge amounts of property in the last crash for a song, Eagle Star (Owned by Rothschilds) bought 900 ! alone in 1 Portfolio
by
Bribing the boys at NAMA, & blocking out All competition.

Top Bottom