#takebackthecity top trend on Irish twitter.

OP
OP
FairstoodtheWind
homeless protesters and campaigners had occupied a building in Frederick St. This evening the Garda and a squad of bailiffs arrived and used a chainsaw to gain entry and evict them. some of the activists were arrested.

the bailiffs and Garda wore balaclavas.

i don't know if it was as violent an eviction as the abortion that these radical protesters also support, but the evictors in that case also wear masks. So there is a certain symmetry to it.

Murtinho

Donator
Premium Account
These people are clowns. This sort of idiotic "protest" does nothing to help alleviate the housing crisis. It's more an attention seeking exercise on behalf of the organisers. No doubt Ruth Coppinger, Murphy and Boiled Carrot were in attendance.

Murtinho

Donator
Premium Account
homeless protesters and campaigners had occupied a building in Frederick St. This evening the Garda and a squad of bailiffs arrived and used a chainsaw to gain entry and evict them. some of the activists were arrested.

the bailiffs and Garda wore balaclavas.

i don't know if it was as violent an eviction as the abortion that these radical protesters also support, but the evictors in that case also wear masks. So there is a certain symmetry to it.
They have to wear the balaclavas for security reasons. The guards and bailiffs have families and a lot of these professional protesting lunatics are slightly unhinged.

Protesters were occupying a vacant building on Frederick Street in Dublin. The owners got an injunction ordering the protesters to leave. Guards evicted them this evening.
I don't really understand why they wore balaclavas. Heavy-handed optics, but have there been any other claims of heavy-handedness or mistreatment?

I like squatters generally. It's a good use of vacant buildings and it's a great way to demonstrate related issues. It was effective in Berlin and especially Hamburg in the 80s. But, for short term squats, as I guess this was, it's not a breach of human rights or even a surprise when a squat gets shut down and the squatters evicted.

OP
OP
FairstoodtheWind
I don't really understand why they wore balaclavas. Heavy-handed optics, but have there been any other claims of heavy-handedness or mistreatment?

I like squatters generally. It's a good use of vacant buildings and it's a great way to demonstrate related issues. It was effective in Berlin and especially Hamburg in the 80s. But, for short term squats, as I guess this was, it's not a breach of human rights or even a surprise when a squat gets shut down and the squatters evicted.
well its more that squatters were part of campaign designed to highlight the housing and homeless crisis in Dublin. They are not squatters by lifestyle but making a visible and attention seeking protest. such a heavey handed eviction is the publicity they hoped for. They hope to make the housing issue the next campaign hub following water charge protests.

well its more that squatters were part of campaign designed to highlight the housing and homeless crisis in Dublin. They are not squatters by lifestyle but making a visible and attention seeking protest. such a heavey handed eviction is the publicity they hoped for. They hope to make the housing issue the next campaign hub following water charge protests.
This is the part I don't really understand, although I sympathise with the intentions of the squatters. The images are far better for the protestors than for the police, bailiffs or the property owner. Protestors only have power if their grievence is seen as being valid. Heavy-handed optics validates their grievance.

I wouldn't ever dismiss "squatters by lifestyle". Many long-term squatters make huge improvements to former derelict properties; the eventual aim of squatting is either to highlight an issue or be able to make a claim later on down the road that you have a right to continue to live in the property. Long-term squatters tend to be well-organised.

If these Dolly Parton fans want to do something useful they should be demanding the government build flats for the homeless in the State owned Malahide Castle Gardens. There's thousands of acres there for hundreds of blocks of flats. Put these people amongst the bourgeois for a change. Be sure to demand all the Roma and the rest of the assorted trash be sent there too.

Top Bottom