Sufism, Dionysus, and the Love of Wine

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member

Dressing up in Goat costumes for the ancient Dionysian Festival of Boujloud in Aroumd Village, Morocco.

I always thought that Sufism is a form of Dionysian Mystery, and this article seems to back up that idea.

It is difficult to discuss Sufism, as it is a way of practice, not an ideology, where the fundamental alignment rests in Islam, which is primarily the science of the existing fields that a Sufi reunites with. And every union carries with it the nature of ecstasy and experience, which is exactly what Sufi call wine.

The appreciation of wine in Sufism is seen exclusively through the nature of experience, which extols the Sufi, transporting them from one spiritual stop on their path (or from one quality) to another. We can see a similar concept in the early mysteries of Dionysus and Orpheus.

Sufism and Wine | Code de Vino

Fire2theRain

PI Member
Tadhg,

Do you read Rumi?

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
― Rumi

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious. I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now on I’ll be mad."

― Rumi

Fire2theRain

PI Member
“I am a lover, and I deal in love. Sow flowers,
So your surroundings become a garden.
Don't sow thorns; for they will prick your feet.
We are all one body,
Whoever tortures another, wounds himself.”

― Rahman Baba

Rahman Baba, "the Nightingale of Peshawar," an 18th century poet and mystic ~

He withdrew from the world and promised his followers that if they also loosened their ties with the world, they could purge their souls of worries and move towards direct experience of God. Rituals and fasting were for the pious, said the saint. What was important was to understand that divinity can best be reached through the gateway of the human heart - that we all have paradise within us, if we know where to look.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
Rahman Baba, "the Nightingale of Peshawar," an 18th century poet and mystic ~

The changing image of Sufism in Western eyes is an extremely interesting subject. During the 19 th century and for a lot of the 20 th century Sufism was blamed by Westerners for the decline of the Islamic- certainly forms of Sufism that degenerated played a part in that- however since the 1960s we have seen a complete reversal of that. Sufism though it does exist to a lesser extent among the Shia is basically part of orthodox Sunni Islam- Sufis may have "ecumenical" feelings towards Christians and believing Jews however you will find that the vast majority believe that atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, etc are headed for the hell fire. A Sufi in London told me that while he believed that the majority of "Eastern" Christians (in that he included groups like the Russians and Greeks) would enter Paradise the destination of the vast majority of Western Christians was the hell fire. He also thought executing people for homosexual acts was perfectly legitimate as long as it was not done on a vigilante basis. What is the armed wing of Hamas called? Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades. Who was Izz ad-Din al-Qassam? A major Sufi Saint of the 20 th century. The suicide bombing of the second Intifada which by the way I have no problems with and which was supported by the way by Archbishop Theodosios Hanna was very much a Sufi thing.

Beware of taking things that Sufis have said that were aimed at pious Muslims in order to break the shackles of their egos for some Levantine form of Quakerism. Context is everything- especially when it comes to Sufism.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tadhg,

Do you read Rumi?

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
― Rumi

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious. I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now on I’ll be mad."

― Rumi

Very little, but I do intend to.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The changing image of Sufism in Western eyes is an extremely interesting subject. During the 19 th century and for a lot of the 20 th century Sufism was blamed by Westerners for the decline of the Islamic- certainly forms of Sufism that degenerated played a part in that- however since the 1960s we have seen a complete reversal of that. Sufism though it does exist to a lesser extent among the Shia is basically part of orthodox Sunni Islam- Sufis may have "ecumenical" feelings towards Christians and believing Jews however you will find that the vast majority believe that atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, etc are headed for the hell fire. A Sufi in London told me that while he believed that the majority of "Eastern" Christians (in that he included groups like the Russians and Greeks) would enter Paradise the destination of the vast majority of Western Christians was the hell fire. He also thought executing people for homosexual acts was perfectly legitimate as long as it was not done on a vigilante basis. What is the armed wing of Hamas called? Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades. Who was Izz ad-Din al-Qassam? A major Sufi Saint of the 20 th century. The suicide bombing of the second Intifada which by the way I have no problems with and which was supported by the way by Archbishop Theodosios Hanna was very much a Sufi thing.

Beware of taking things that Sufis have said that were aimed at pious Muslims in order to break the shackles of their egos for some Levantine form of Quakerism. Context is everything- especially when it comes to Sufism.

Very true a chara, and these Sufis in Iraq certainly gave the Anglo invaders a hard time,

Top Bottom