Self Moderated Star Trek : fans here?

gerhard dengler

Any fans of the Star Trek series here?

During lockdown I was scanning the TV channels and I saw the "Horror Channel" were showing the original Star Trek series each evening.
I remember watching the original ST series as a kid, and it was show that is a really happy memory from childhood so to get to see all of the original episodes again was great.

I used tell the kids about how we used watch it when we were kids but it wasn't on TV much when they were growing up. But one of the kids told me that he'd started to watch the original series recently and had since moved on to ST Next Generation.

From the original series, the shows about the Doomsday Machine, Christopher Pike and Harry Mudd are my favourites.

Gene Roddenberry was a genius!

Mowl

PI Member
Any fans of the Star Trek series here?

During lockdown I was scanning the TV channels and I saw the "Horror Channel" were showing the original Star Trek series each evening.
I remember watching the original ST series as a kid, and it was show that is a really happy memory from childhood so to get to see all of the original episodes again was great.

I used tell the kids about how we used watch it when we were kids but it wasn't on TV much when they were growing up. But one of the kids told me that he'd started to watch the original series recently and had since moved on to ST Next Generation.

From the original series, the shows about the Doomsday Machine, Christopher Pike and Harry Mudd are my favourites.

Gene Roddenberry was a genius!
No, not any more. I did as a kid, but later in life I discovered these lunatic-level political discussion websites in Ireland where arseholes and mouth-almighty's of every description imaginable called themselves after the characters in the show, and when I read their opinions about Irish life in all its grey monotony I started to loathe the characters in the original series and couldn't watch it any more without wanting to boot the telly to pieces.

All these completely anonymous dopes thought themselves the bee's knees and went about their online business using pictures of Spock, McCoy, Kirk, etc to best represent themselves as some sort of inter-galactic crew of political idiots up in space. One complete sap using a picture of McCoy even tries to write in the mock style McCoy's character spoke in: broken sentences containing three words or less - and then thought himself a genius from outer space. The Spock-picture using guy is another of your ignorant modern Irish militant Catholics who thinks Jesus loves him for his abuse of atheists and agnostics, just like many of the militant Catholics on this site who use fake names (too embarrassed and too weak to associate with their own opinions mostly) and even allow themselves the right to taunt other members by accusing them of being rape victims of the very same priests whose butts they kiss all day and night.

That one just kills me: 'I have faith, I believe in Jesus, I believe in the divine trinity, I believe in Star Trek, and I believe you were raped by a priest as a child because you obviously despise our church and its few good priests; to hate us as much as you do must mean we (as in: our church/our priests) raped you - and you not only deserved it, but my priests deserved to enjoy what they did to you too and will receive their just reward when they pass heaven's gate. Meanwhile, you're going to hell..'

It's barely believable, I know - but I suppose with you being a family man (as you say) you get to enjoy it all over again through the eyes of your children?

For me, I get to laugh at the very same anonymous nobodies from nowhere who try to elevate themselves in their anonymity by associating their bullshit opinions with space monkeys and other alien tripe. It's about as believable as the whole bollocks about their bible: these twats believe in god AND they believe in aliens? They name themselves after their TV show heroes whizzing about from one end of the galaxy to the other and spend the rest of their time wishing violent rape on some people, wishing eternal damnation on others, and thinking themselves as excellent models of modern Christianity for all of the above.

It's about as believable as some of the alien scenes (and beings) in the original telly show: obviously cheap and crap-tatty, knocked together with glue and a few nails, and without any special effects to cover up the fact that it's a stage set. It takes a certain kind of idiot to still find wonder and entertainment in a shoddy and slapped together television show several decades after it was made, especially a 1970's science fiction type affair.

It was good entertainment (for the laughs, like) when I was around six or seven.

But as an adult I put away childish things - unlike a numbder of arseholes who actually continue to live their sad little lives as though they're on the USS Enterprise flying past Alpha Centauri when in fact they're merely on the 49 bus from Blanchardstown to Smithfield.

Looking back, I find Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker much more fun: Pertwee in particular with his Wurzel Gummidge character was a gas. Wurzel and Doctor Who used a very British sense of humour where Star Trek used American style comedy: which made it far more accessible to me as an Irish kid. I never found Star Trek humourous other than watching and laughing at Kirk's massively over-rated acting style. And Spock's. And especially McCoy with his face molded in cement, incapable of ever expressing any emotion at all.

Kid's shows are for kids.

I would suggest dumping your remote control, kicking your telly out with the trash, and buying yourself a copy of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' complete series. At least Douglas Adams had writing skills, unlike the hacks who threw Star Trek together while likely pissed on tins of Budweiser and high on California Gold while on set.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Ive been regularly watching it on the Horror Channel as well, weren't one of the Mudd episodes (the one with all the androids) and the episode with the Doomsday machine shown last week? The other Mudd episode was the one about the Tribbles which I think was better.

The Captain Pike one was the 2 - episode story wanst it? If so I have to say I found it painfully slow verging on the boring but the twist at the end was fantastic.

I think the episode where they end up on a planet populated by 1930s Chicago gangsters was the best one myself.

Clarke-Connolly

PI Member
Ive been regularly watching it on the Horror Channel as well, weren't one of the Mudd episodes (the one with all the androids) and the episode with the Doomsday machine shown last week? The other Mudd episode was the one about the Tribbles which I think was better.

The Captain Pike one was the 2 - episode story wanst it? If so I have to say I found it painfully slow verging on the boring but the twist at the end was fantastic.

I think the episode where they end up on a planet populated by 1930s Chicago gangsters was the best one myself.
They should do one on the Democrats of America Today == That would be very similar to the 1930’s American Ganster One, I Reckon.

Rommel

PI Member
You have pre 2000 Star Trek which always had good stories and always seemed to have some sort of science behind what they were selling. Anything after 2000 is so weigh down with homosexual and transgender BS and and make believe magic. The one with on Netflix hasn’t even a European distribution this year as the number of fans who switched off between seasons meant it was not worth it for them to get it. The Patrick Stewart show is also dead after one year as he wasn’t happy about being turned into a robot at the end of it.

All the good science fiction that was huge in the 70’s to the 00’s have been ruined by the rainbow freaks,

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
They should do one on the Democrats of America Today == That would be very similar to the 1930’s American Ganster One, I Reckon.
I dont think they could do that. It is supposed to be a family show and the plot you are suggesting sounds like the plot of an over 18s horror film that could only be shown after 9pm in the evening

Templar

Donator
PI Member
You have pre 2000 Star Trek which always had good stories and always seemed to have some sort of science behind what they were selling. Anything after 2000 is so weigh down with homosexual and transgender BS and and make believe magic. The one with on Netflix hasn’t even a European distribution this year as the number of fans who switched off between seasons meant it was not worth it for them to get it. The Patrick Stewart show is also dead after one year as he wasn’t happy about being turned into a robot at the end of it.

All the good science fiction that was huge in the 70’s to the 00’s have been ruined by the rainbow freaks,
Star Wars has also been destroyed

Top Bottom