Some "Recovery";- "Irish Water deal could turn us into Greece"- John Bruton on Newstalk 106

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Greece Update ‏

@GreeceUpdate
Bruton: Irish Water deal could turn us into Greece - Newstalk 106
http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/71579/0/
This is a good point. Having a situation where you don't have to pay taxes if you don't want to is exactly what made everyone regard Greece as a laughing stock. Its not the sort of thing a country would want to emulate if it wants to be taken seriously.
Myself I cant get the point of these water charge protests. Every other country in the world pays them, I have a Direct Debit for water coming out of my account every month (in the UK) to pay for water, if you don't pay specifically to maintain the water infrastructure no politician is going to ever vote to spend general taxation on all that boring out of sight water infrastructure when he could be spending it on vote buying projects instead.

OP
Dublin 4

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
It's the Political instability & insolvency which is the most important feature of Greece.

radioledger

Shocking Stuff
Donator
PI Member
Missed this post on Sunday D4,

I dont understand how Bruton thinks we will end up like Greece if we dont pay our water charges, Bruton has clearly missed the point where we already pay for our water.

Top Bottom