Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Some recovery: Irish construction sector falls at fastest rate since 2013.

@graceland.com

Donator
PI Member

Wolf

PI Member
You better believe it
I am sitting in a million euro house as I write fixing shoddy workmanship for the new owners, the standard and regulations may have been updated but the same mindset exists unfortunately
Who signed off on that million euro house in the first place?
That's the problem here, so called architects and engineers signing off on any old shite as long as they get paid.....

The Tuath .

PI Member
There were council houses in Dublin going for almost 1M at the height of the madness . I often wonder about how those sucke......err people got on after .

@graceland.com

Donator
PI Member
Who signed off on that million euro house in the first place?
That's the problem here, so called architects and engineers signing off on any old shite as long as they get paid.....
Correct
But who is going to do anything about it,
This government will do nothing to hinder developers and the housing market,

Reactions: BSA

@graceland.com

Donator
PI Member
But this is the point.
Who designed that type of crap, who signed off on it?
Retards like to blame the guy doing the work on the ground, but he's just doing what the clowns who designed it have told him to do.
Hold on there a minute, the guys on the ground in the industry couldntt give a fly... fuck what they do as long as they get paid, I am fed up fixing expert polish carpenters work and any other many other jobs. It's all about money and profit and they employ the cheapest they can get, lots of foreign cowboys who haven't clue what they are doing but aren't long realising they can get any way with any old shite.
If you try to do a good job they don't want you waste time

Bad dog

Donator
PI Member
Correct
But who is going to do anything about it,
This government will do nothing to hinder developers and the housing market,

Too right. Take a 320,000 euro new house in a large town.

VAT 13.5% =38,000

Levies for social housing, contribution to council for roads etc, water connection charges = 65000 euro.

Builder gets balance 217,000 to cover materials, site and labour. Government will also get a share of this from wage tax, tax on profit etc. At least another 20,000.
Sucker gets a mortgage for 320,000 so the government gets more than 120,000 of that. 40,000 of that will be towards providing a refugee or lazy family with a house. Sucker will pay the highest interest in Europe on that 120,000 to help the banks that he already pays towards since their bailout.

Wolf

PI Member
Hold on there a minute, the guys on the ground in the industry couldntt give a fly... fuck what they do as long as they get paid, I am fed up fixing expert polish carpenters work and any other many other jobs. It's all about money and profit and they employ the cheapest they can get, lots of foreign cowboys who haven't clue what they are doing but aren't long realising they can get any way with any old shite.
If you try to do a good job they don't want you waste time
Well, I did say that.
That's why I only employ experienced Irish tradesmen.
Again, don't tar all tradesmen with the same brush, there's good and bad everywhere.
Fact is, it's up to people like me to oversee and pass their work, and if it's not done to my satisfaction it gets done again or they don't get paid.
If only the scum engineers and architects were so vigilant instead of taking backhanders from dodgy developers we wouldn't be in this mess.

@graceland.com

Donator
PI Member
Well, I did say that.
That's why I only employ experienced Irish tradesmen.
Again, don't tar all tradesmen with the same brush, there's good and bad everywhere.
Fact is, it's up to people like me to oversee and pass their work, and if it's not done to my satisfaction it gets done again or they don't get paid.
If only the scum engineers and architects were so vigilant instead of taking backhanders from dodgy developers we wouldn't be in this mess.
I don't tar all with the same brush,
I have been in the game 30years in the UK, US,and Ireland, there are some good guys out there But they 're in the minority, and sometimes even if you want to do it right the developer doesn't want that is it costs more.
The rot started in the construction industry in the 70s with the.lump system and the advent of subbies and labour supply.
All of a sudden large firms like bovis laing at al did t have to employ permanent tradesman and could turn to agency staff and subbies. Before that they employed their own tradesmen for decades and knew what they were capable of. Of course Ireland followed suit and now it's all agencies supplying staff to large builders, so their is no incentive for their staff to be good as they 're expandable

bowfin

PI Member
Despite what anyone says about the old FAS (Industrial Training Authority) or better still when it was Anco there were good teachers recruited from their own discipline and industry. They trained and turned out good craftsmen as the apprentices also used to go to the College of Technology Bolton Street or Kevin Street (electrical). These courses were 44 weeks full time (40 hours a week) and that was considered the first year of your 5 year apprenticeship. Really good lads were turned out of that system until FAS and the suits got a hold of Anco and little by little they whittled it away until it was down to 24 weeks and only covered less than half the material. It was a disaster, the whole thing fell apart. They told the teachers the courses were too expensive to run and in Germany, this is the way they do it. Rubbish as it was only half the truth. Anyway, that is why your door sticks and stairs creak and windows leak with draughts. All the good guys left for sunnier climes. I asked a so-called carpenter one day was he not going to miter that joint, he looked at me with wonderment. Enough said.

• Love
Reactions: BSA

@graceland.com

Donator
PI Member
Despite what anyone says about the old FAS (Industrial Training Authority) or better still when it was Anco there were good teachers recruited from their own discipline and industry. They trained and turned out good craftsmen as the apprentices also used to go to the College of Technology Bolton Street or Kevin Street (electrical). These courses were 44 weeks full time (40 hours a week) and that was considered the first year of your 5 year apprenticeship. Really good lads were turned out of that system until FAS and the suits got a hold of Anco and little by little they whittled it away until it was down to 24 weeks and only covered less than half the material. It was a disaster, the whole thing fell apart. They told the teachers the courses were too expensive to run and in Germany, this is the way they do it. Rubbish as it was only half the truth. Anyway, that is why your door sticks and stairs creak and windows leak with draughts. All the good guys left for sunnier climes. I asked a so-called carpenter one day was he not going to miter that joint, he looked at me with wonderment. Enough said.
When the chop saw came in it created a lot of carpenters very quickly

OP
P

PO'Neill

PI Member

Half of the turnover in the construction industry must be repairs

Top Bottom