Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Sinn Fein to 'consider every proposal', including rejoining the Commonwealth

Talk Back

PI Member
I'd have thought most Loyalists would feel more at home in Scotland than in England. Many of them claim that Ulster Scots is a language.
So-called "Ulster Scots" is obviously not a language as Unionists claim, but is some kind of a jive-talking dialect as this clip from the 'Nolan Show' shows. Basically, it is standard English spoken with an Irish/Scottish accent. People do not take it seriously.

Reactions: Una

Toughfillybuster

PI Member
The threat of the Loyalists heading back to England. I'm sure that things have moved on a bit over there since 1691.

Unfortunately not pal, I believe they are now steeped in history prior to 1690 and still heading backwards........sad really.

seanof

PI Member
So-called "Ulster Scots" is obviously not a language as Unionists claim, but is some kind of a jive-talking dialect as this clip from the 'Nolan Show' shows. Basically, it is standard English spoken with an Irish/Scottish accent. People do not take it seriously.

Indeed. That's why I used the word "claim".

Toughfillybuster

PI Member
I'd have thought most Loyalists would feel more at home in Scotland than in England. Many of them claim that Ulster Scots is a language.

Only the fundies and their politicos who worship money, scams, re-election, brexit etc etc.

londonresident

PI Member
With hindset, the rebellion shouldn't of happened, I know there was a lot of injustice, but a better independence was later, but there will always be leaders with ego's. Canada faired the better country concerning independence, but then again they were a migrants, colonisers of that land there, and the native people, but yeah, that is how empire tends to go.

jmcc

PI Member
Unfortunately not pal, I believe they are now steeped in history prior to 1690 and still heading backwards........sad really.
It will be fun when they reach 1066 and figure out that the French took over England and still run most of it. ;)

We all need to move on here. It's the Unionists who feel threatened now and if there is to be any hope of a fair UI then the Nationalists must show statesmanship and forgiveness. A UI cannot be about revenge for past offenses (I'm not at all diminishing those offenses).

A true Republic should rise above such matters and be a beacon of hope for others.
There's a lot of right in that but I think you're missing a critical point.

The dynamic of being "British" simulated by certain Irish in Ireland is one of the superior and the inferior. It's the assumption of a false identity through [BGCOLOR=transparent]declaring oneself a servile native trustee of a foreign patron. Basically it's a way to puff oneself up and lord it over the rest of us. It's a bit shady, a bit malicious and a bit humiliating. [/BGCOLOR]

Now this may not be how the British see themselves over there in the UK, and that's fine - I actually think that they're perfectly suitable neighbours - but we can't put up with the way it manifests itself over here. The Orange Order is the original sectarian bully gang, just look them up in the pre-SJW academic literature.

We Irish have done very well with independence and we...have...proved...ourselves astute, industrious and tolerant.

There may well be a deep fear of just retribution in the Unionist community for past wrongs, a righteous God etc, and a creeping worry that if the illusion is dispersed that the scam will collapse. Well perhaps recommend a therapist would help. We're above wrath.

The sectarian hustle will be dismantled and the Brits will pay the bill for its dismantling. That's the agreement. We are already being forgiving and stately thanks very much.

seanof

PI Member

The dynamic of being "British" simulated by certain Irish in Ireland is one of the superior and the inferior. It's the assumption of a false identity through [BGCOLOR=transparent]declaring oneself a servile native trustee of a foreign patron. Basically it's a way to puff oneself up and lord it over the rest of us. It's a bit shady, a bit malicious and a bit humiliating. [/BGCOLOR]

Now this may not be how the British see themselves over there in the UK, and that's fine - I actually think that they're perfectly suitable neighbours - but we can't put up with the way it manifests itself over here. The Orange Order is the original sectarian bully gang, just look them up in the pre-SJW academic literature.

We Irish have done very well with independence and we...have...proved...ourselves astute, industrious and tolerant.

There may well be a deep fear of just retribution in the Unionist community for past wrongs, a righteous God etc, and a creeping worry that if the illusion is dispersed that the scam will collapse. Well perhaps recommend a therapist would help. We're above wrath.

The sectarian hustle will be dismantled and the Brits will pay the bill for its dismantling. That's the agreement. We are already being forgiving and stately thanks very much.
The British could never be trusted to honour their agreements. They only do so when coerced. If the Irish believe otherwise, then they are mugs.

Reactions: Una

publicrealm

PI Member

That may be correct - I'm not very well informed on NI. The point I'm trying to make is the it appears to me that the writing is on the wall for Unionists - they are, or are about to be, defeated.

A mature Republic should be magnanimous and reassuring and make sure their traditions are respected and protected within the Republic- regardless of the past.

Thelasthurrah

PI Member
Never met a Dub yet, who's Granda didn’t fight in the 1916 rising, or was not in the old IRA.. there was a lot of brave men, down de pub.. post 1916 shenanigans..

back on Topic..Shinners will agree to anything to gain power,, just like the rest of the mainstream parties.. POWER..POWER.POWER trumps all other ideals.. Once they have the nose in the trough with the rest of the snouts,, fuck all the promises, and just keep the gravy train going.. Sure look at the Independents.. Ross.. Zappone et al.. they have all transformed into good company yes men,, following the diktacts laid down by the real rulers of our Isle.. the senior civil servants. These are the secret class of bureaucrats that sat in beside Bertie,, Cowan, etc when it all started to fall in around them.. and are still sitting whispering in the coridors of power,, dictating whom , where and what will be done.. The shinner’s will be no different, nor will they change anything.
Speaking as a dyed in the wool republican that is a thoroughly depressing statement ,because unfortunately it will probably turn out to be true.

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Premium
You can't be a "Republican" if you support the subjection of Ireland by Goldman Sachs / EU.

Top Bottom