Signals from another Galaxy, Far Far away......

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
PI Member
Threads
Something is happening out there, and astronomers sure wish they knew what it was.

For the last several years, they have been teased and baffled by mysterious bursts of radio waves from the distant universe: pops of low-frequency radiation, emitting more energy than the sun does in a day, that occur randomly and disappear immediately. Nobody knows when these “fast radio bursts,” or F.R.B.s, will occur, or where exactly in the cosmos they are occurring.

More than 60 of these surprise broadcasts have been recorded so far. About the only thing astronomers agree on is that these signals probably are not extraterrestrials saying hello.

So it was big news a year ago when scientists found a repeating radio burster and tracked it to a dwarf galaxy 3 billion light-years from Earth. Subsequent observations suggested that the burst was generated by extremely powerful magnetic fields, most likely ruling out lasers from alien spaceships.

Now a group of astronomers from Harvard and several Canadian universities have announced the discovery of a second radio repeater. The repeating bursts appeared last summer almost as soon as the team turned on and began tuning up a new telescope, the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment, or Chime, in British Columbia. The team announced the discovery in a pair of papers in Nature, and in a news conference at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle on Jan. 9.

The astronomers estimated that the new repeater is about 1.5 billion light-years away, roughly half the distance to the other repeater. The existence of a second repeater suggests that there are many more to be found, said Ingrid Stairs, an astrophysicist at the University of British Columbia, in a news release.
Broadcasting from Deep Space, a Mysterious Series of Radio Signals

I find the idea of repeating signals to be fascination, it suggests to me that perhaps these signals are artificial and not natural. Sadly those who made the signals are most likely dead now due to the time it has taken for the signals to be detected, but I believe we are now close to discovering other life out there. I pray and hope we discover intelligent life in my lifetime, (Providing they are friendly!).

Threads

I find the idea of repeating signals to be fascination, it suggests to me that perhaps these signals are artificial and not natural. Sadly those who made the signals are most likely dead now due to the time it has taken for the signals to be detected, but I believe we are now close to discovering other life out there. I pray and hope we discover intelligent life in my lifetime, (Providing they are friendly!).
hopefully its this helpful chapLOLlllllllllllll

NotPC

PI Member
Threads

With the vast distances involved I still think we are a long way away from that. Until they discover how to travel much faster than the speed of light it's a pointless exercise!!!!

If they were able to come to us, this would signal they were more advanced than us. If history has thought us anything it is the less developed nations don't survive the more advanced, they get assimilated by them.

If we apply the same thinking to Planets, then we could be in trouble from any visitors to our planet!!!!!

OP
OP
Sinbad

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
PI Member
Threads
With the vast distances involved I still think we are a long way away from that. Until they discover how to travel much faster than the speed of light it's a pointless exercise!!!!

If they were able to come to us, this would signal they were more advanced than us. If history has thought us anything it is the less developed nations don't survive the more advanced, they get assimilated by them.

If we apply the same thinking to Planets, then we could be in trouble from any visitors to our planet!!!!!
As the signal is 1.5 Million light years away it would be fair to presume that the signal was sent out a million years ago, thus either they have advanced technologically, been destroyed or destroyed themselves.

I'm still hoping for the signal to contain this type of message!

Threads
Our radio signals are relatively new in the grand scheme of things. Back in 1974, the first powerful broadcast ever deliberately beamed into space could still be centuries away from being intercepted. And even if it was it could be a thousand years after that before they're able to send a probe that could reach us.

Threads
CHIME has detected some sound from outer space.

The cause of this sound would need to be determined. Is the sound some other lifeform trying to communicate? Or is the sound a result of some natural phenomenon?

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Threads

The cause of this sound would need to be determined. Is the sound some other lifeform trying to communicate? Or is the sound a result of some natural phenomenon?
Repeating radio signals would sound like they were repeated on purpose, normally natural signals would be random.

Threads
gerhard dengler said:

Repeating radio signals would sound like they were repeated on purpose, normally natural signals would be random.
There is no basis to show that the sound detected is a radio signal.

Top Bottom