Should young people stay out of politics? Yes they should according my MLOD

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads

'Young people should stay away from politics': Senator criticised for comments as voting age bill blocked

Sinn Féin Senator Fintan Warfield reintroduced the bill to the committee stage of the Seanad yesterday.

SENATOR MARIE-LOUISE O’Donnell has been criticised for saying that young people should “stay away from politics” after the Seanad voted against reducing the voting age at local and European elections to 16.

Sinn Féin Senator Fintan Warfield reintroduced the bill to the committee stage of the Seanad yesterday evening. The bill was first debated in the Seanad in March 2017.

The bill was seconded by Independent Senator Lynn Ruane.

Speaking in the Seanad during the debate, O’Donnell was heavily critical of the bill, outlining that she is “absolutely against it”.

“I want to tell you my opinion, it is a resounding and echoing no. No to the vote at 16, no to the vote at 17, it’s fine at 18,” O’Donnell said.

“Four years ago, some of you were 12. Five years ago, some of you were 12. I’m against it, absolutely against it. I think that it’s fine at 18,” she said.

We’re also not a Students’ Union, we don’t think like a Students’ Union. We are the upper legislative house of the Oireachtas and we have to think totally in the common good and not as a Students’ Union.​

'Young people should stay away from politics': Senator criticised for comments as voting age bill blocked

OP
OP
Anderson

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
I don't normally agree with Mary Lou I don't even like the woman but on this occasion, I think she is correct.

At the age of 16 you simply do not have the experience or knowledge of life to such an extent that you would be able to make an informed decision that could shape the country.

Yes, there are some people who are well versed in politics from an early age but that is not the norm or the average 16-year-old.

To be honest, I even think 18 years is too young, especially when you see all the propaganda kids are taught in schools, I would suggest raising the age to 21 and let people have an understanding of life first.

Just look at all the kids running around to repeal the 8th, no idea of life or its value, but excited at the idea of taking a life.

Threads
It is true, generally, the age of voting in the teenage years is quite young. In the past, it may of made more sense. Today, the world is a complex place, and yes time is required for a young person to may be build some political beliefs, and to make decisions in an election.

As for abortion, that is a difficult subject. Most people don't take that likely, therefore the repeal subject going on.

jmcc

PI Member
Threads
No to political cronies like MOLD being "appointed" to an anti-democratic Seanad by f*cking gombeen school teacher/TDs. Kids getting the vote at 16 is far less of a problem than institutional gombeenism.

ChickenLittle

Political Irish
Threads
I have tried and I use the word Try loosely to have conversations with young people in regards to the Repeal the 8th referendum. Most of the time I am met with hostility and anger from Young Group who tell me I am betraying women and I am a slut for siding with men because I am opposed to repealing the 8th. You just can't have a discussion with them.

When I see what Mary Lou O Donnel says, I am inclined to agree with her.

Threads
I think if you have a family & kids you should get the vote. Then you've a stake in the future. One vote per household. (I would be disenfranchised under my own system btw)

Anyway we've got a gombeenocracy; ain't no real democracy in a regime with a knack of rerunin' inconvenient referenda and who's media monopoly instead of investigatin' stuff are in on the scam. Our politics is the most fairytale of any Western jurisdiction.

Youngsters -- who are developing are the most susceptible to indoctrination. That's just how human beings roll when they are developing.

The dinosaur politicians pretendin' all the youngsters are saints n' geniuses and ready for the vote at 16 hoping they'll hop aboard with the legacy parties. I don't think that will quite work out exactly.

D

Deleted member 392

Non Registered Member
This old traitor was perhaps enda kennys greatest sycophant taoiseach appointment twice just fuck off

Threads
I think if you have a family & kids you should get the vote. Then you've a stake in the future. One vote per household. (I would be disenfranchised under my own system btw)
Sounds fair.

I'd support it.
On the condition that the disenfranchised were exempted from taxation.

Threads
Perhaps the best system would give everyone one vote when they turn 18.
However, under my ideal system people would have the opportunity to increase their voting power over the course of their lifetime.

Anyone who served at least a year in the defense forces would be given an extra vote.
If you have an IQ at least a standard deviation above average, you get another.
And perhaps two additional votes based on your tax contribution.

Additional criteria for being awarded extra voting power could be added.

I'd cap it at around 10 maximum votes per person.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
Perhaps the best system would give everyone one vote when they turn 18.
However, under my ideal system people would have the opportunity to increase their voting power over the course of their lifetime.

Anyone who served at least a year in the defense forces would be given an extra vote.
If you have an IQ at least a standard deviation above average, you get another.
And perhaps two additional votes based on your tax contribution.

Additional criteria for being awarded extra voting power could be added.

I'd cap it at around 10 maximum votes per person.
i think sexy women should get an extra one too - i mean its only fair if high iq nerds get an extra one. and if ur a sexy lady with a high iq u just get elected straight of the bat.

Top Bottom