Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Should Fluent English agus Cúpla Focail Gaeilge be required to get at the goodies of the State ?

TW Tone

PI Member
Poland requires a good working knowledge of Polish for all people applying for Polish citizenship..

I doubt that there is a country in Europe that does not demand some knowledge of at least one of their languages from foreigners seeking naturalization.
Except for Stupid Sloppy Ireland.

OP
F
I doubt that there is a country in Europe that does not demand some knowledge of at least one of their languages from foreigners seeking naturalization.
Except for Stupid Sloppy Ireland.
do you think it should be compulsory for the irish to learn those other languages ?

the Apache, Navajo and the Sioux all forgot the languages of their homeland. And then they learned the languages of the invaders

Florence

PI Member
In addition to having a good knowledge of English and some Irish I think applicants should have a basic knowledge of irish history and of our political system. The state should set a basic exam in this and charge a reasonable fee for taking it to cover costs. I don't believe that genuine applicants who plan to make their life here would object to this.

I met an American woman recently who also had UK citizenship. She has been in Ireland for 5 years and told me she was looking into getting irish citizenship (which would mean giving up her UK citizenship). I asked her why and she said that Brexit might make her UK citizenship less useful if she wanted to work or travel in Europe. So she was getting Irish citizenship as a convenience, to keep options open. So sad that our citizenship has come to this.

Reactions: BSA

page61

PI Member
They just want to cram in as many people as they can for the tax receipts. whether they can speak eng or irish seems to be irrelevant and by the time the sheep in Ireland realise that because of these decisions the country is in shamble ,it will be to late. ..I fear it is all ready to late

Top Bottom