• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Should Fluent English agus Cúpla Focail Gaeilge be required to get at the goodies of the State ?

OP
F
I doubt that there is a country in Europe that does not demand some knowledge of at least one of their languages from foreigners seeking naturalization.
Except for Stupid Sloppy Ireland.
do you think it should be compulsory for the irish to learn those other languages ?

the Apache, Navajo and the Sioux all forgot the languages of their homeland. And then they learned the languages of the invaders

Florence

PI Member
In addition to having a good knowledge of English and some Irish I think applicants should have a basic knowledge of irish history and of our political system. The state should set a basic exam in this and charge a reasonable fee for taking it to cover costs. I don't believe that genuine applicants who plan to make their life here would object to this.

I met an American woman recently who also had UK citizenship. She has been in Ireland for 5 years and told me she was looking into getting irish citizenship (which would mean giving up her UK citizenship). I asked her why and she said that Brexit might make her UK citizenship less useful if she wanted to work or travel in Europe. So she was getting Irish citizenship as a convenience, to keep options open. So sad that our citizenship has come to this.

page61

PI Member
They just want to cram in as many people as they can for the tax receipts. whether they can speak eng or irish seems to be irrelevant and by the time the sheep in Ireland realise that because of these decisions the country is in shamble ,it will be to late. ..I fear it is all ready to late

TW Tone

PI Member
In addition to having a good knowledge of English and some Irish I think applicants should have a basic knowledge of irish history and of our political system. The state should set a basic exam in this and charge a reasonable fee for taking it to cover costs. I don't believe that genuine applicants who plan to make their life here would object to this.

I met an American woman recently who also had UK citizenship. She has been in Ireland for 5 years and told me she was looking into getting irish citizenship (which would mean giving up her UK citizenship). I asked her why and she said that Brexit might make her UK citizenship less useful if she wanted to work or travel in Europe. So she was getting Irish citizenship as a convenience, to keep options open. So sad that our citizenship has come to this.

Florence:

I have been preaching about this here and elsewhere for years.
Irish naturalization is the easiest such process in Europe.
I do hope you asked her how much she had studied Irish history, language, culture, political system etc.
Make it clear that you object to faux Irish.

TW Tone

PI Member
do you think it should be compulsory for the irish to learn those other languages ?

the Apache, Navajo and the Sioux all forgot the languages of their homeland. And then they learned the languages of the invaders
What languages?

Irish? Yes, on the whole. Though forcing people to study Irish has not forced them to learn it.

I am a Gaeilgeoir, but I think Irish will likely be dead before me.

There just is no solution. Neither carrot nor stick work.

Irishman abroad

PI Member
I really wish I had learned Irish properly in school. It would give us a better sense of identity.
Irish should be our first language.

Irishman abroad

PI Member
What languages?

Irish? Yes, on the whole. Though forcing people to study Irish has not forced them to learn it.

I am a Gaeilgeoir, but I think Irish will likely be dead before me.

There just is no solution. Neither carrot nor stick work.
I think your wrong. If there was a political will then it could make a resurgence. The same as the Welsh language, and latvian language post Soviet union.
Bringing back Irish is entirely possible.

DrPat2

PI Member
I really wish I had learned Irish properly in school. It would give us a better sense of identity.
Irish should be our first language.
I agree with your last statement. However, it is up to us as individuals and as a People to keep it alive. I don't think we can use the excuse that the teaching of it in school is very poor for not using it - not that I am suggesting you are doing so. To me that excuse seems very much as a lazy copout for moaning but not doing anything.

Top Bottom