SF leader Michelle O'Neill Easter Statement - Brexit puts Irish Unity back on the agenda

Ire-land

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Timing Ire - timing...

Adams' retirement - more financial Bombs to explode, Sugarman, Brexit, Trump settling in, Grassroots rumblings....
I hope you're right! My gut feeling on Sugarman is that he was alienated long enough so as to be sort of irrelevant. His message is completely scandalous, yet it barely causes a blip on the radar. There doesn't seem to be any real appetite in the country to set things right- everyone is either anesthetised, or foreign.

Dublin 4

Premium Account
Threads
Don't be worryin.

We've supporters in all Parties.

I've mates in FF & FG who are clones of us- ya'd piss yerself if you seen them in action grilling the TD's etc Lol upside

Threads
The Dublin establishment would have to totally collapse for a UI to become a prospect. They aren't interested in anything to shuffle the cards and the 26 county state's economy is a bubble and will remain so until it goes pop. Absorbing East Germany was and is still a struggle for even a powerhouse like Germany. And there's no loyalist gangland there.

McDonald has some lumpen-machiavellian intelligence; but she's a careerist and is no visionary. O'Neil is a plain moron. The old guard were holding the party back but they were hardened men and the clever clogs of the outfit. That lot are going to replaced by these careerist idiots. On my minute reading of things, the prospects for a UI on the horizon in the foreseeable is a flat zero.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
The Dublin establishment would have to totally collapse for a UI to become a prospect. They aren't interested in anything to shuffle the cards and the 26 county state's economy is a bubble and will remain so until it goes pop. Absorbing East Germany was and is still a struggle for even a powerhouse like Germany. And there's no loyalist gangland there.

McDonald has some lumpen-machiavellian intelligence; but she's a careerist and is no visionary. O'Neil is a plain moron. The old guard were holding the party back but they were hardened men and the clever clogs of the outfit. That lot are going to replaced by these careerist idiots. On my minute reading of things, the prospects for a UI on the horizon in the foreseeable is a flat zero.
Looking at things from a solely Irish point of view it looks that way however once you factor in trends in Britain another picture emerges. I do though think that Scotland and than Wales will leave the United Kingdom before Northern Ireland does. I do find it worrying that the Shinners keep making out that Brexit is SO relevant to the situation, okay it probably is them trying to show worried Southern powerful forces that they are "a safe pair of hands" but it is making them look like a bunch of retards in front of the Prods as well as their more thoughtful core voters in the ROI.

Threads
Looking at things from a solely Irish point of view it looks that way however once you factor in trends in Britain another picture emerges. I do though think that Scotland and than Wales will leave the United Kingdom before Northern Ireland does. I do find it worrying that the Shinners keep making out that Brexit is SO relevant to the situation, okay it probably is them trying to show worried Southern powerful forces that they are "a safe pair of hands" but it is making them look like a bunch of retards in front of the Prods as well as their more thoughtful core voters in the ROI.
I don't foresee the Scots going "Cold Turkey" (sans EU) independence in the near term. It's like jumping across a river that is tantalising to jump but is just a jump that's a jump too far. There's too many variables there and if that referendum is fouled up, that's just a few more decades that Scotland will be unhappily caught in the thorns of the union. It's a leap to say Scotland will gain its independence in the near term and if that does transpire, there's an incredible amount of jungle overgrowth to still scythe through to see unity become plausible here. There's just no political actor here in any kind of proximity to power with the finesse or even real interest to shift power relations in this country in that kind of way.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
I don't foresee the Scots going "Cold Turkey" (sans EU) independence in the near term. It's like jumping across a river that is tantalising to jump but is just a jump that's a jump too far. There's too many variables there and if that referendum is fouled up, that's just a few more decades that Scotland will be unhappily caught in the thorns of the union. It's a leap to say Scotland will gain its independence in the near term and if that does transpire, there's an incredible amount of jungle overgrowth to still scythe through to see unity become plausible here. There's just no political actor here in any kind of proximity to power with the finesse or even real interest to shift power relations in this country in that kind of way.

I would have agreed with you not so long ago but the fact is there has been an immense "drifting away", the majority of young Scots don't see themselves as British and the way that Conservatives have handled the situation post the last referendum has made things a lot worse.

Threads
I would have agreed with you not so long ago but the fact is there has been an immense "drifting away", the majority of young Scots don't see themselves as British and the way that Conservatives have handled the situation post the last referendum has made things a lot worse.
It's not an identity thing. It's the sense of being adrift in a darkened and unstable world.

Threads
Er yes very confusing,we want to be independent and have self determination,but we love being bossed around by the EU.It's like saying your a vegetarian apart from the meat and fish you eat.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
I'd say the confused state of the Provisional Movement is well expressed in Martin McGuinness' headstone.

He's referred to as an Óglach, in Óglaigh na hÉireann - but the dedication also proudly spouts about him being a Member of the British Parliament, a Member of the Stormont colonial administration, and a Minister of the British Crown. And to cap it all - the bloody thing is in English.

Top Bottom