Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Seán Ó hÉinirí: Scéalta Chois Cladaigh - Last of the Monoglot Irish Speakers

Tau Cross

PI Member
It was Englands capital in Ireland, and in many ways it has remained a capital apart from rest of the nation.

Zosimus

PI Member
What that has to do with your hatred for your country's capital is a matter for you alone.

Dublin is a town built to keep the Irishman in English subjugation. So long as Dublin is the capital Dublin Castle will be the government.

Tau Cross

PI Member
Dublin is a town built to keep the Irishman in English subjugation. So long as Dublin is the capital Dublin Castle will be the government.

It was long Republicans intention to, IF successful, to move away from Dublin Castle politics and move the administrative capital to the centre of Ireland under a federal provincial set up and operate on the principle of subsidiarity and decentralisation.

Zosimus

PI Member
It was long Republicans intention to, IF successful, to move away from Dublin Castle politics and move the administrative capital to the centre of Ireland under a federal provincial set up and operate on the principle of subsidiarity and decentralisation.

The Pale's natural and healthy place in national life becomes clear when you realise it is the Alsace-Lorraine of Ireland. Dublin is not meant to be our Paris but rather our Strasbourg.

roc_

PI Member
I have recently been reading Seadna by Canon Peter O Leary, and I love the expression there.

I would also love to get the text of O hEiniri's story in the OP. To help commit the lines he tells to memory. And try to speak them in the same way he does. Can you help, a Thaidhg, a mhic!

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member
I have recently been reading Seadna by Canon Peter O Leary, and I love the expression there.

I would also love to get the text of O hEiniri's story in the OP. To help commit the lines he tells to memory. And try to speak them in the same way he does. Can you help, a Thaidhg, a mhic!

Well, here's a few full stories of his. Will I write out a couple of them, or do you particularly want the one in the OP?

Zosimus

PI Member

David Webb's website Cork Irish is a remarkably good resource which I highly recommend. The author himself is a fascinating if somewhat odd man. He's an English white nationalist who has devoted a great deal of time to mastering Irish while denigrating the Irish as a savage and perfidious race who are doomed to be in thrall to either Rome or the EU. He seems to have left the site for good, but he used to have semi-regular breakdowns and announce that he was going to quit because of 'anti-English bullying' only for the comments section to be full of well-wishing farewells from his supposedly hateful Irish audience. I am very fond of strange people like this and they produce them in abundance over the Irish sea.

Zosimus

PI Member
AFAIK the only written work available on the ancient arts of memory is the Rhetorica Ad Arrhenium. It gives prescriptions for remembering things in the old fashioned way prior to the time of writing, like Homeric poems.

This blog is full of transcriptions from Seán Ó hÉinirí:

In my experience the best way to memorise texts is this method, combined with spaced repetition and the method of loci:

Top Bottom