Hot Sabahu al-khayr. Good Morning. Let's Learn Arabic.

• Thread starter Deleted member 163
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 13K

Radioactive

Donator
PI Member
I am wrapping up my arabic now after a little more than 3 months. I am able to understand everything on level one when I hear it but I am not able to reverse and speak it. It is pointless to continue further though as I do not have the time to tackle the written word. To do so would take a huge effort, too much for just a pastime. I will keep listening occasionally to keep what I have learned though.

I conclude that to learn a language you must really admire that language and culture, and I can not say that for arabic. That and the alphabet are the 2 biggest hurdles.
I would find Polish easier for example.

I will have a lot of free time from next week onwards so I have already gotten American Spanish ready to go. I have it on both pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. From the bit I have done, it is a piece of cake.That is the advantage of putting in so much time on the arabic. In 3 months I will know it easy and will be onto level 2.

I can see how people can get hooked on languages, especially young people who can travel.
I will be starting my Spanish thread in a few more days
Fair play for learning it, do you think you are at a level that you could converse in a conversation?

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair play for learning it, do you think you are at a level that you could converse in a conversation?
Not by a longshot. It is enough to just barely get by, but if a different word was substituted, or if spoken fast, I would be completely lost. At best I will end up given a salute to a fellow in a gas station and pretending I understand his response, while I make my escape.

But it certainly was worth the effort. My time spent was driving to and from work mainly. Everyone here has driven to work and listened to music which has no benefit really. I drive 1 hour each way though.

The Spanish will be easy.

I think there are 3 level of Spanish, you would want to know all before you speak. A friend of mine is doing French. He is on level 5 plus has a tutor and is now confident.
It takes serious time. It is not difficult, but you gotta commit to the long haul

Radioactive

Donator
PI Member
Not by a longshot. It is enough to just barely get by, but if a different word was substituted, or if spoken fast, I would be completely lost. At best I will end up given a salute to a fellow in a gas station and pretending I understand his response, while I make my escape.

But it certainly was worth the effort. My time spent was driving to and from work mainly. Everyone here has driven to work and listened to music which has no benefit really. I drive 1 hour each way though.

The Spanish will be easy.

I think there are 3 level of Spanish, you would want to know all before you speak. A friend of mine is doing French. He is on level 5 plus has a tutor and is now confident.
It takes serious time. It is not difficult, but you gotta commit to the long haul
Well fair play either way, it looks a tough language and not one i think i would have the time for. You have my respect for doing aswell as you did.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well fair play either way, it looks a tough language and not one i think i would have the time for. You have my respect for doing aswell as you did.
Thanks. The advantage is that many others will seem easy by comparison. I am excited about the Spanish

Top Bottom