Hot Sabahu al-khayr. Good Morning. Let's Learn Arabic.

• Thread starter Deleted member 163
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 13K
D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am familiar with all these (few) words from my pimsleur audio but it is a great help to see them written as well. I am about 3 weeks into this now and I am hopeful that I will stick it out. My nephew learned Hebrew and that could not be too easy either. He is adept. He speaks fluent Spanish and is after learning Irish also. I presume both Irish and Hebrew would be to a fairly basic level of course

Myles O'Reilly

Top Bloke
Donator
PI Member
What the fu*k you learning this rag head sh1t for Dan?

Which ones have you been trying to get a grasp of before this
Book of the Dean of Lismore

It is primarily written in the "secretary hand" of Scotland, rather than the corr-litir style of hand-writing employed by Gaelic speakers in Ireland. The orthography is the same kind used to write the Lowland Scots variety of the Anglic languages, and was a common way of writing Scottish Gaelic in the Late Middle Ages.

Although the principal part of the manuscript's contents are in Gaelic, the manuscript as a whole is multilingual, and there are a significant number of texts written in Scots and Latin, including extracts from the Scots poets William Dunbar and Robert Henryson, and there is a great deal of Gaelic-English diglossia throughout the manuscript. Many of the Gaelic texts are of Irish provenance, and in the case of bardic poetry, Irish poems outnumber Scottish poems 44 to 21. - Book of the Dean of Lismore

The Anglo-Frisian family tree is:
I need to have a splattering of languages for what I will be studying over the next few years.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
What the fu*k you learning this rag head sh1t for Dan?
I come in contact with educated arabic speakers on occasion Myles, plus not all arabs are muslims. I greatly admire arab Christians.
I see people who I would consider less intelligent than I being able to speak two or three languages, so I have decided to learn this one.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
Book of the Dean of Lismore

It is primarily written in the "secretary hand" of Scotland, rather than the corr-litir style of hand-writing employed by Gaelic speakers in Ireland. The orthography is the same kind used to write the Lowland Scots variety of the Anglic languages, and was a common way of writing Scottish Gaelic in the Late Middle Ages.

Although the principal part of the manuscript's contents are in Gaelic, the manuscript as a whole is multilingual, and there are a significant number of texts written in Scots and Latin, including extracts from the Scots poets William Dunbar and Robert Henryson, and there is a great deal of Gaelic-English diglossia throughout the manuscript. Many of the Gaelic texts are of Irish provenance, and in the case of bardic poetry, Irish poems outnumber Scottish poems 44 to 21. - Book of the Dean of Lismore

The Anglo-Frisian family tree is:
I need to have a splattering of languages for what I will be studying over the next few years.
Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.
I'll need it. Irish poems outnumber Scottish poems 2 to 1 in that particular book, so I could survive with Irish, but understanding Irish gives me a huge advantage with Scottish, which I can read fairly well as it is. I've made a bit of headway with Cornish, Manx and Welsh, and I have done French, German and Spanish when I was younger, so it's an achievable goal over the next year or so, to be conversational in each of those languages.

Top Bottom