Hot Sabahu al-khayr. Good Morning. Let's Learn Arabic.

• Thread starter Deleted member 163
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 13K
D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
I recently decided to learn Arabic. Don't ask me why.
I got the pimsleur course from the library and after listening to it for a while, actually purchased it from audible.com on my phone, which cost me 5 credits or about $60.
I now realize that it is one of the most difficult to learn but believe it or not after about 3 weeks I understand a good deal. The problem is that many words have completely different sounds at different times.
Also the course I am taking is Modern Standard Arabic used by business and upper classes etc. There are numerous different dialects and ordinary people don't know this. So if I watch a video, I never know for sure what arabic it is.
But I intend to persevere in this endevour. Does anyone here know arabic or is there anyone interested in learning along. Let's face it, there seems to be many here with a great amount of free time on their hands.
Regardless I will keep this thread updated

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will learn these words tomorrow Antoin. Another disadvantage imo of pimsleur, which is great overall, is that it is all audio. Now I am looking elsewhere and realize the spelling is different than I imagined as well.
But I will learn this, if it is the last thing I do.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
The people have left, your highness.
I figured it out.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
I recently decided to learn Arabic. Don't ask me why.
I got the pimsleur course from the library and after listening to it for a while, actually purchased it from audible.com on my phone, which cost me 5 credits or about $60.
I now realize that it is one of the most difficult to learn but believe it or not after about 3 weeks I understand a good deal. The problem is that many words have completely different sounds at different times.
Also the course I am taking is Modern Standard Arabic used by business and upper classes etc. There are numerous different dialects and ordinary people don't know this. So if I watch a video, I never know for sure what arabic it is.
But I intend to persevere in this endevour. Does anyone here know arabic or is there anyone interested in learning along. Let's face it, there seems to be many here with a great amount of free time on their hands.
Regardless I will keep this thread updated

Fair play to you, it's a very interesting language with magnificent poetry. Put up a sentence every couple of days and I will certainly try to learn with you. All you need is 400 words in any language to be able to function in that language.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
Fair play to you, it's a very interesting language with magnificent poetry. Put up a sentence every couple of days and I will certainly try to learn with you. All you need is 400 words in any language to be able to function in that language.
Shukran ya sadiki. (go raith maith agat mo chara)

It would be great to have someone learn along. It will take more than learning 400 words though as everything has numerous variations with masc, fem, etc etc.
But if an arab can learn it then so can we. There is a ton on people on utube teaching but you have to know which dialect.

Essme Youngdan

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
Fantastic.
I think that is the one I was looking at the other night but could not find when looking a while back. Lets stick with her. I will use her in addition to pimsleur. Some words is hard to make out when you have only the audio, regardless of how slow they talk, it is a great advantage to have the visual letters, for me anyway.

Top Bottom