Hot Sóivéidí na hÉireann TG4

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Clár faoin dóigh a chuaigh Réabhlóid na Rúise i bhfeidhm ar lucht oibre na héireann le linn Chogadh na nDúchronach. Ghlac oibrithe seilbh ar mhonarchana agus áiteanna oibre eile ar fud na tíre agus maíodh sóivéidí - comhairlí daonlathacha faoi smacht na n-oibrithe.

A programme about the ways in which the Russian Revolution influenced the working class of Ireland during the Tan War period. Workers took possession of factories and other workplaces around the country and soviets were declared - democratic councils under the workers' control.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Workers in Bruree took over the the local mill and organised their production on Soviet principals. This was one of hundreds of Soviets all over Munster. Once the free state took over, breaking these Soviets became the number one concern. Micheal Collins set up a special force of big farmers sons and free staters to smash the workers and put the pro-British bourgeoisie back in control.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account

British Army tank used to try to break the will of the Limerick Soviet

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Of course the criminal British Empire was always very quick to send in the tanks - even on the island of Britain itself. Below we see three tanks and soldiers sent by the English Régime to break the miner's strike in Glasgow in 1921.

They didn't call themselves a "Soviet", so the whole story is off. A general strike, fair enough, that was ended by the bishop and the sinn fein lord mayor.

A bit like if someone wrote about me and said I was an austrian, all my friends would say "Noooo, this is being bigged up and twisted to try and make it more interesting."

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
They didn't call themselves a "Soviet", so the whole story is off. A general strike, fair enough, that was ended by the bishop and the sinn fein lord mayor.

A bit like if someone wrote about me and said I was an austrian, all my friends would say "Noooo, this is being bigged up and twisted to try and make it more interesting."

They didn't officially call themselves a Soviet in Limerick, but people at the time were calling it a Soviet. And as you see on the sign on Bruree Mill, the word Soviet was expressed used.

Top Bottom