Video Síol na hÉireann's National Anthem Video

Eriugena

PI Member
Niall McConnell begins his videos with the RTE orchestral version of Amhrán na bhFiann, a very fine rendition in itself, with a video overlay.
Now considering that Síol na hÉireann projects itself as a traditionalist Catholic nationalist group and seems to call for the foundation of a Christian state in Ireland, it is odd to see the figure of Wolfe Tone and Robert Emmet in the parade of Irish heroes. TWT: 0:36; RE: 0:52. As a side note, to my mind the most moving and inspiring picture of the whole presentation is at 1:24.

Síol also talks of "our ancient Irish heritage, language and culture" and that this "sacred heritage is under assault from EU rule, liberalism . . ." 'Our' clearly refers to the Gael and liberalism is one of the threats to the nation. I myself happen to be on board with everything stated in this quote.

The appearance of TWT and RE is really odd because TWT was the founder of the non-sectarian Society of United Irishmen which was dedicated to the foundation of a secular republic, Robert Emmet was an important member of the SUI. The republican principles of the SUI belong to the tradition of classical liberalism. Finally, both of these esteemed gentlemen were not Gaels.

So why is there this manifest contradiction? I ask this question not as a hostile but as one who is completely in agreement the following principles which define the group as "Pro-Life . . . dedicated to the creation of a Sovereign, United, Christian Ireland. We believe that our most precious possession is our ancient Irish heritage, language and culture. That sacred heritage is under assault from EU rule, liberalism and Anti-Irish far-left ideology." As a matter of fact the existing state is not a secular republic as it already claims to be Christian as set out in the Preamble of Bunreacht na hÉireann.

A secular republic, the aim of the SUI, is not consistent with a Christian state such as we nominally and formally have, and this brings us on to a very tricky matter. The situation of a Gaelic nation apparently holding up non-Gaels as its leaders. At the very least, this is an odd situation which is worth discussing.

The presence of TWT and RE in the lineup seems to clash with the principles of Síol na hÉireann.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
O'Connell is often incoherent. I get the impression his outfit is more a corner and merchandise shop than anything else. But I personally don't exclude Tone for one. Tone is an example of self sacrifice. Tone issues for us an instruction for Irishmen to put aside their sectional differences to defeat British imperialism, the British being virtuosos of divide and rule. And that is an expression of eternal wisdom. Tone fired a flare in the sky. And then one relies on the religiosity of the men of 1916 for completion. What I like about the Irish heroic experience is that each individual is a somewhat a frustrating figure but things become truly alive when gathered together as an ensemble. Pearse, no secularist himself, regarded Tone as indispensable.

OP
Eriugena

Eriugena

PI Member
O'Connell is often incoherent. I get the impression his outfit is more a corner and merchandise shop than anything else.
There have been concerns raised about his relationship with Jim Dowson which are well worth delving into. There's an exposé article over at the Burkean on this.
But I personally don't exclude Tone for one. Tone is an example of self sacrifice. Tone issues for us an instruction for Irishmen to put aside their sectional differences to defeat British imperialism, the British being virtuosos of divide and rule. And that is an expression of eternal wisdom. Tone fired a flare in the sky. And then one relies on the religiosity of the men of 1916 for completion. What I like about the Irish heroic experience is that each individual is a somewhat a frustrating figure but things become truly alive when gathered together as an ensemble. Pearse, no secularist himself, regarded Tone as indispensable.
TWT and RE were both men of outstanding personal qualities. I raise this issue because their inclusion contradict the principles of SnE.

There is something deeper and more interesting going on here. The puzzling situation of a people acknowledging as leaders individuals who were not members of that nation (Gaels) and did not share their religion. I am quite interested in looking critically at the intellectual foundations of the modern Irish nationalist tradition which begins with the SUI.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
Dowson is a mini tycoon from email marketing. He tends to go from political outfit to political outfit with his email marketing template. The result is a short term windfall but then a litany of complaints from people snowed under by correspondence. GDPR must be kryptonite to a guy like him. Or it'll be McConnell who'll take the fall for it if things go sour on that end of things.

bells of shandon

PI Member
Wolfe Tone and Robert Emett may not have been Gaels, but they certainly were committed Patriots , who fought and died for the Freedom of the Gael.
As such I confer on them the title of Honorary Gael. None deserve it more for their indefatigible fight for Ireland and their death in that cause.No Irish man or woman can object.

Tuco Salamanca

PI Member
Dowson is a mini tycoon from email marketing. He tends to go from political outfit to political outfit with his email marketing template. The result is a short term windfall but then a litany of complaints from people snowed under by correspondence. GDPR must be kryptonite to a guy like him. Or it'll be McConnell who'll take the fall for it if things go sour on that end of things.
Email marketing is fully compliant with GDPR if the recipient opts in and an option to easily opt out is provided in the footer of the email.

The landing/squeeze page must also have a data declaration and an income disclaimer (if receiving affiliate commissions). But most of this was already covered under CAN-SPAM, So GDPR made little difference. Most Internet marketers, even those without U.S and Canada based customers, already complied with CAN-SPAM.

OP
Eriugena

Eriugena

PI Member
Email marketing is fully compliant with GDPR if the recipient opts in and an option to easily opt out is provided in the footer of the email.

The landing/squeeze page must also have a data declaration and an income disclaimer (if receiving affiliate commissions). But most of this was already covered under CAN-SPAM, So GDPR made little difference. Most Internet marketers, even those without U.S and Canada based customers, already complied with CAN-SPAM.
Does this mean that Dowson's business model is legal and it's only a case of caveat emptor?

Top Bottom