• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

RTE publishes list of top earners

Karloff

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
The salary is so high it moves them into the elite and that is on purpose. As members of the elites they give the elite pov which suits the other higher ups in the country fine.

A publicly funded broadcaster should never pay anyone over 100kpa, that should be the limit. Then we would still get great talented people but they would also have a lot more in common with the bulk of the people listening which is the way it should be for a public service. If by doing so we lose tubs, duffy and the rest then my heart will be just broken but if i manage to stave off an anguished urge to do seppuko on myself i will live fine with it.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Jun 9, 2017
The salary is so high it moves them into the elite and that is on purpose. As members of the elites they give the elite pov which suits the other higher ups in the country fine.

A publicly funded broadcaster should never pay anyone over 100kpa, that should be the limit. Then we would still get great talented people but they would also have a lot more in common with the bulk of the people listening which is the way it should be for a public service. If by doing so we lose tubs, duffy and the rest then my heart will be just broken but if i manage to stave off an anguished urge to do seppuko on myself i will live fine with it.

Tubs and D'arcy can negotiate high salaries because they generate advertising revenue. Advertisers aren't going to pay for an unknown - too risky.

My big toe has more charisma than the pair of them, but they still manage to get decent viewing/listening figures - and that's all that matters: moolah.

If RTE did drop them in favour of some new blood, there wouldn't be any change in content IMO. The new lad/lass would be trained in the ways of the woke Jedi, thus perpetuating the status quo.

Best way to solve the problem. Give RTE the

Karloff

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
Tubs and D'arcy can negotiate high salaries because they generate advertising revenue. Advertisers aren't going to pay for an unknown - too risky.

My big toe has more charisma than the pair of them, but they still manage to get decent viewing/listening figures - and that's all that matters: moolah.

If RTE did drop them in favour of some new blood, there wouldn't be any change in content IMO. The new lad/lass would be trained in the ways of the woke Jedi, thus perpetuating the status quo.

Weren't some of them on half a million around the Celtic Tiger period?

It could also be argued that the woke crap is done to avoid offending advertisers. Sinister corporations at the root of it yet again.

One cannot deny this is one advantage to communism, whatever else people think about it and in a sense makes the communistic system more 'free' than the corporate neoliberal model. Is corporatism leading to a system of brainwashing and thought control that even Mao could only dream of? I think corporatism is responsible for a lot of our ills from the decline in intellectualism to the decline in the arts.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Jun 9, 2017
Weren't some of them on half a million around the Celtic Tiger period?

It could also be argued that the woke crap is done to avoid offending advertisers. Sinister corporations at the root of it yet again.

One cannot deny this is one advantage to communism, whatever else people think about it and in a sense makes the communistic system more 'free' than the corporate neoliberal model. Is corporatism leading to a system of brainwashing and thought control that even Mao could only dream of? I think corporatism is responsible for a lot of our ills from the decline in intellectualism to the decline in the arts.
Yeh, advertisers want to sell shyte to consumers. They're not interested in a broadcaster who challenges the status quo. They're quite happy with things as they are.

It's a weird hybrid of capitalism and communism we're living under.

whyfillaw

PI Member
Aug 3, 2018
the woke crap is done to avoid offending advertisers
the punchline, we all know to be the true reason why ORE TEE EEE are the pits.
They are run by the "whims of Focus Groups, PR reps for MNCs, NGOS spokespersons AND LOBBYISTS

Myles O'Reilly

PI Member
PI Member
Feb 3, 2017
I think some like Joe Duffy would probably get off on the lying.
When McSavage did his Joe Duffy sketch of him in a gimp outfit getting off on all the misery of his callers, Duffy was enraged and refused to speak to him when they bumped into each other at RTE. Likewise Plank attacked McSavage for making him out to be a Robot.

Post truth

PI Member
Feb 3, 2019

You can get them to say anything, best one being Brass Eye

Post truth

PI Member
Feb 3, 2019
It's not a new phenomenon. Morris was brilliant in his time, led by the nose.

Top Bottom