RTE of 60s/70s/80s/90s

Clanrickard

PI Member
Always thought it was shite, even when I was a kid in 70's, save for Wanderly Wagon. It was run by anti-Irish Marxist filth and west Brit shoneen bastards from early 70's onwards. Mutants like Eoghan Harse had unbelievable sway in that place. And sadly over the Irish psyche. Now it is run by ....................... wait for it..................anti-Irish cultural Marxist filth and west Brit shoneen bastards! The place needs to be levelled and asses put in Gulags.
That is one of the funniest posts I have read in ages. There is also more than a grain of truth in it.

Rick kit

PI Member

RTE in the seventies was a shite box that started in the afternoon and had cartoons made in Czechoslovakia and Poland , the animation in these was best described as done by an epileptic mid fit with a pencil stuck in his ear. ..In my house they were in B&W

The only good thing on tv was the reruns of 40s films such as Tarzan and Burt Lancaster/Errol Flynn type movies.

As far as Catholic values, RTE was as bleak and boring /judgmental ..as the church was. when I watched RTE as a kid though there was no connection to religion in my mind..except when someone like DEV died and they played religious music all day .

as RTE moved into the 80s I released that i had not a jot in common with it and decided to read books instead.
i remember in the 70 s the big christmas night movie was Dracula 1931 with bela lugosi

Rick kit

PI Member
In fairness the other 3 channels weren't much better during the 70s and there wasn't much to show aside from old films and Laurel and Hardy?
there were a few defining moments i clearly remember watching the moon landing and the vietnan war on the news also a classic late late show where a drunken scottish pychatrist was dragged off for declaring all child molesters should be shot.Gaybo nearly crapped himself

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
there were a few defining moments i clearly remember watching the moon landing and the vietnan war on the news also a classic late late show where a drunken scottish pychatrist was dragged off for declaring all child molesters should be shot.Gaybo nearly crapped himself
Absolutely, Rick.

What I mean is that movie wise, 1970s audiences would have been treated to movie premieres from Hollywood's first and second "Golden eras". So, something like Lugosi's Dracula probably would have been a huge TV event in Ireland in the mid 70s.

Growing up in the 80s, I can recall staying up late to watch the premiere of some movies made in the 70s. Alien and Star Wars premiered on UTV circe 1982 - 1983 -actually, my mother berated my father for letting me watch the former.

The Empire Strikes Back premiered in 1988! (I can remember watching it Christmas Day!).

Nowadays you just download cookie cutter shyte from d'interwebs. Not as exciting.

RTE did have "Cineclub", which I think was their answer to BBC/CH4's avant garde movie programs such as "Moving Pictures".

They showed some very good movies, but I suspect that they never had the courage to enter the murky movie territory that CH4 embraced.

Ah back when CH4 was innovative, creative and staying up late to watch some dodgy Brazilian sex movie was on a par with doing hard core drugs in your bedroom whilst your parents sat down stairs watching Uncle Gaybo talk through his hoop:

Now we have this festival of balloons:

No wonder I threw the box out!

PO'Neill

PI Member
One thing RTE did really well in the 80s was sports on a Saturday.

Sports stadium used to show rugby,English soccer, all the goals from the there UEFA club competitions,preview of the GAA Sunday fixtures,Horse racing and loads of minority sports filling up the show.

Top Bottom