RTE of 60s/70s/80s/90s

Catalpa

PI Member
Well to most people in Ireland in the 60s RTE TV was a revelation

- it certainly did open up the State to the outside World.

Of course here on the East coast we had UTV/Harlech & the BBC

I don't have a TV anymore and have no intention of doing so ever again so TV memories are gone a bit hazy.

parentheses

PI Member
I think RTEwas always envisaged as a way of changing Ireland.

I think the first director of programmes, Edward Roth, was an American. He made sure that RTE bought in lots of programming from America.

I think the agenda was to change Ireland's culture so we would make a good vassal state. You can see the results now.

page61

PI Member

RTE in the seventies was a shite box that started in the afternoon and had cartoons made in Czechoslovakia and Poland , the animation in these was best described as done by an epileptic mid fit with a pencil stuck in his ear. ..In my house they were in B&W

The only good thing on tv was the reruns of 40s films such as Tarzan and Burt Lancaster/Errol Flynn type movies.

As far as Catholic values, RTE was as bleak and boring /judgmental ..as the church was. when I watched RTE as a kid though there was no connection to religion in my mind..except when someone like DEV died and they played religious music all day .

as RTE moved into the 80s I released that i had not a jot in common with it and decided to read books instead.

Top Bottom