RTÉ promotes rejected asylum seeker and Social Democrat candidate running for election in Dublin

Florence

PI Member
Below is a timetable taken from a judgement made in the High Court in May 2016 relating to Ellie:

Came to Ireland 30.4.2011 with student visa and allowed to remain to study until 15.6.2012.

However, she went to UK 21.7.2011 but the Uk didn't want her and on 8.8.2011 UK asks Ireland to take her back

9.11.2011 Ellie applies for asylum in Ireland.
30.11.2011 Ellie has her section 11 interview

12.1.2012 her asylum claim rejected.

(pretty quick decision - aren't we told asylum seekers wait and wait and wait?)

Appealed the rejection Feb 2012

Appeal rejected.

Judicial review proceedings launched 'which were compromised.' Not sure what this means.

Further notice of appeal issued on 12.4.2013

This was refused on 16.7.2013.

She had 14 days to appeal this latest rejection but she did not apply for a judicial review until 22.10.2013, well past the due date. Ellie claimed her solicitor was on holiday and she needed time to raise the money for the stamp duty for the proceedings.

In May 2016 Justice Mary Faherty made a High Court order granting her an extension of time to make a claim for judicial review.

I don't know what happened next in the legal saga.

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ENAR upset over "unsympathetic" exposé on rejected asylum seeker Ellie Kisyombe in The Times

An exposé in the Sunday Times on Social Democrat candidate Ellie Kisyombe has come under criticism from the European Network Against Racism.

Ellie Kisyombe's campaign to become a councillor in north inner city Dublin has been promoted widely across the media. She was interviewed on Today FM and RTÉ and was featured in both the Irish Times and Independent. Her image has also been projected onto the GPO.

As previously highlighted, after a soft interview with Ray D'Arcy, it was Matt Cooper who first got her to admit that she has failed her asylum claim but has been appealing the decision and this is why she has been in Direct Provision for eight years.

Now Mark Tighe for the Sunday Times has revealed that Kisyombe attempted to claim asylum in the UK in 2011 before being transferred back to Ireland, where she already had a student visa. Tighe also revealed that in 2014, Kisyombe was arrested and placed in detention in the UK on suspicion of illegal entry. This resulted in a second request by UK authorities to have her removed to Ireland.

"The Sunday Times has established that Kisyombe studied at Bristol University between 2007 and 2010 before returning to Malawi. She arrived in Ireland on or about April 30, 2011, and was granted a student visa that allowed her to remain here to study until June 15, 2012.

"Soon after arriving in Ireland, Kisyombe travelled to the UK where she applied for asylum. In July 2011 she was screened at the Croydon asylum unit in London. British authorities asked their Irish counterparts to take Kisyombe back, in line with an EU convention. Kisyombe applied for asylum in Ireland on November 9, 2011.

"In her media interviews Kisyombe says she has been in direct provision since coming to Ireland. However, she left Ireland to go to the UK in either late 2012 or early 2013.

"On March 3, 2014, Kisyombe was arrested and placed in detention in the UK on suspicion of illegal entry. This resulted in a second request by UK authorities to have her removed to Ireland. She was brought back on May 2, 2014."

[Screenshot of report]

Also, Kisyombe had told Matt Cooper that she had gotten a direct flight to Ireland from Ethiopia but there were no flights to Ireland from the African country in 2010 or 2011.

ENAR's Shane O'Curry talked to Matt Cooper yesterday and told him he was upset with the Times exposé because it had "an unsympathetic framing" and had the potential to "enable or exacerbate racism".

"Our interest in this case is that ENAR Ireland are the co-coordinating organisation of 87 member organisations in Ireland all concerned with various manifestations of racism. One of the areas of racism that we're interested in is online racism and any framings in the media that have the potential to enable or exacerbate racism in Irish society and our concern about this article is that it is a particularly unsympathetic framing of Ellie Kisyombe."

Shane O'Curry also complained about the photograph accompanying the article as one where Kisyombe wasn't smiling was not chosen and complained that the "Far-Right" were "all over this story like flies around the proverbial."

He said that there was an onus on journalists "to report responsibly on those who are potentially in a vulnerable situation."

Matt Cooper hit back at O'Curry's remarks replying "Sorry, it's a factual outlining of the circumstances of the case. It's neither sympathetic nor unsympathetic. It's just a factual laying out of the situation."

"Sorry, Shane. Are you actually complaining that they didn't use a photograph of her smiling and saying that that's deliberately unsympathetic"?

The Social Democrats told the Irish Times that it would not be fair to comment on Ellie Kisyombe asylum claim. Kisyombe refused to comment on the report.

Broadcast: Matt Cooper on Today FM | 18 February, 2019

Florence

PI Member
OMG! Its now 'unsympathetic' to tell the truth. This woman told HOT PRESS that she was campaigning for human rights in Malawi 2008-2011 when the situation there was dangerous. Yet Mark Tighe exposed the truth that she was at Bristol University 2007 - 2010. How can you be in two places at once?

She is not a 'vulnerable' woman. She is a liar. Liars should be exposed.

blue velvet

PI Member
The ENAR spokesman O'Curry was just floundering. All he had left was the race card.

He complained that the Sunday Times used an 'unsympathetic' photo of Ellie and that she was a 'happy, smiley person'. As if showing her smiling would somehow fix all the inconsistencies in her story.

People shouldn't try and lionise Matt Cooper for this 'tough interview' though. The guy is a complete POS who would no doubt have been playing the race card against her opponents had the evidence against her not been so overwhelming.

Cooper knew he was on solid ground by 'standing up' to O'Curry and his race huckstering. Normally he would not be so 'brave'.

jon 1000's of irish f

Donator
PI Member
RTÉ promotes rejected asylum seeker and Social Democrat candidate running for election in Dublin

RTÉ's Ray D'Arcy invited Ellie Kisyombe onto his show to discuss her candidacy for councillor in Dublin city (LE19) for the Social Democrats in the upcoming council elections in May.

Kisyombe says she fled from Malawi and has been living in Ireland's Direct Provision system for almost a decade.

Since 2004, asylum seekers in Ireland have been allowed to vote and run in local council elections. The first day they were allowed to vote was the same day the Irish public voted to remove birth right citizenship from the constitution as too many pregnant asylum seekers were flying into Dublin in order to gain citizenship for their children and maternity hospitals had begged the government to do something.

Kisyombe says it's good that she can run in council elections as that will be a start and "you never know what will happen next". She says she was born into a very political family in Malawi and lost many members of her family which was "some of the reason they made me flee there".

Fearing for her life

Ray asked were her whether her family members were killed to which she responded:

"I would use that word but unfortunately where I'm coming from feels like that. They can go years and years without you know being sorted out or even confirmation of that but definitely that's what really happened to my parents and uncle."

Asked whether she feared for her life, she replied:

"I did because I don't think if I was in Malawi, the way I am I think I'd be talking to you right now, Ray. I'm glad that I'm in Ireland."

Direct Provision:

Kisyombe told Ray when she first arrived in Ireland she was put into a reception centre and stayed there for four weeks before being moved into a Direct Provision centre.

Being told that there were now 39 Direct Provision centres in Ireland, she remarked:

"And there even more than that because I know that you know we've had a bit of troubles so I can't blame RIA (Reception & Integration Agency) on that. We've had a little bit of troubles so there other places that within they're not mentioned quite a lot because ah, [coughs] anyway, I don't even need to go there. I don't have facts but let's say there are 39 at the moment."

She said she was allowed €21.60 a week in Direct Provision but did not mention that this weekly allowance is set to rise in March March to €38.80 for adults and €29.80 for Children.

Eligibility to work:

She said that while someone is in Direct Provision they are not allowed to work, get education or cook.

Ray reminded her that asylum seekers are now allowed to work but Kisyombe said there were too many conditions and "people like me can't be allowed to work."

"I'm the odd system so that law doesn't apply me. I'm not really sure why not. It does not apply to me because I've stayed long time in Direct Provision".

Under new rules, asylum seekers are allowed to work in Ireland as long as they have been here for nine months without being given a decision on their application. If they are refused asylum, often they appeal the result continuously and remain in Direct Provision, unable to work legally.

Kisyombe said she had two 18 year old twins with one in third level education. She said a scholarship from the Irish Refugee Council funded the first year in college her friend councillor Gary Gannon helped to get her funding for the following year. She also gets some help for transport from the Social Welfare Dept.

On a campaign flyer, she describes herself as a chef and small business owner despite not being allowed to work.

Why her asylum case is taking so long:

Ray said that people would be interested to know why her asylum case is taking so long.

"In my situation...in our situation for people that we've been here for mostly a decade now, the time our case is too long. I'm not sure what's going on in there which maybe one day I might understand."

She said over the past eight years, she can't remember how many letters she got about her asylum case from the Dept of Justice and believes Ireland will look back on the Direct Provision system as a national embarrassment.

Ability to represent Dubliners:

She lives in a reception centre in Dundalk because she says they closed the apartments where she used to live.

Despite that, she believes she will represent the constituents of the Dublin ward where she is running because "I'm one of the people who don't get much problems to connect to people...in my country [Malawi] we say the good spirit always attracts the good spirit"

Asked how she would change the Direct Provision system, she says "I'd at least give the people Independence, allow them work and to end their independence. That's the first thing I would do".

Her campaign flyer reads: "I believe in standing for all causes that matter to us all especially better healthcare services, affordable housing, women's and minority rights."

Up until 2017, approximately 10% of asylum requests were granted in Ireland but 80% of deportation orders against failed asylum seekers are never implemented.

Broadcast: RTÉ | The Ray D'Arcy Show | 29 Jan 2019

Social Democrats:

Social Democrats candidate Ellie Kisyombe admits she failed her asylum claim and has been appealing

transcription here:

https://www.politicalirish.com/threads/rtÉ-promotes-rejected-asylum-seeker-and-social-democrat-candidate-running-for-election-in-dublin.28916/post-347743

ENAR upset over "unsympathetic" exposé on rejected asylum seeker Ellie Kisyombe in The Sunday Times

Thread here:

one can only wonder what's happened in Malawi?

@graceland.com

PI Member
The ENAR spokesman O'Curry was just floundering. All he had left was the race card.

He complained that the Sunday Times used an 'unsympathetic' photo of Ellie and that she was a 'happy, smiley person'. As if showing her smiling would somehow fix all the inconsistencies in her story.

People shouldn't try and lionise Matt Cooper for this 'tough interview' though. The guy is a complete POS who would no doubt have been playing the race card against her opponents had the evidence against her not been so overwhelming.

Cooper knew he was on solid ground by 'standing up' to O'Curry and his race huckstering. Normally he would not be so 'brave'.
shane o curry, looks like elvis costello but without the talent

George Dillon

PI Member
Below is a timetable taken from a judgement made in the High Court in May 2016 relating to Ellie:

Came to Ireland 30.4.2011 with student visa and allowed to remain to study until 15.6.2012.

However, she went to UK 21.7.2011 but the Uk didn't want her and on 8.8.2011 UK asks Ireland to take her back

Appeal rejected.

Judicial review proceedings launched 'which were compromised.' Not sure what this means.

She had 14 days to appeal this latest rejection but she did not apply for a judicial review until 22.10.2013, well past the due date. Ellie claimed her solicitor was on holiday and she needed time to raise the money for the stamp duty for the proceedings.

In May 2016 Justice Mary Faherty made a High Court order granting her an extension of time to make a claim for judicial review.

Faherty is an old Fine Gael hack.

Didn't O Curry partipate in violently breaking up an attempt by Identity Ireland to hold a meeting in a hotel a couple years ago? He's a lout.

George Dillon

PI Member

Appeal rejected.

Faherty is an old Fine Gael hack.

Didn't O Curry participate in violently breaking up an attempt by Identity Ireland to hold a meeting in a hotel a couple years ago? He's a lout.

Last edited:

OrderoftheDragon

PI Member
This is rte's pamela mkII........any nationalist party should have ending the tv license fee in their top 5, an organisation of 5th columinsts.

Top Bottom