Roman dildo found when out treasure hunting in Lincolnshire!

bable shair

PI Member
Well, this 2,000-year-old penis pendant was an unexpected find.

A treasure hunter in Lincolnshire was left stunned by the discovery of a mini metal dildo, which a soldier battling Julius Caesar’s army would have worn around his neck.

The inch-long penis and testicle pendant – found, of all places, in Horncastle – would have been used to impress women.

It was considered a symbol of virility, and the soldier seemingly would have wanted it to impress the ‘camp followers’ who accompanied legions two millenia ago.

The pendant has been buried for 2,000 years.

A treasure hunter in Lincolnshire was left stunned by the discovery of a mini metal dildo, which a soldier battling Julius Caesar’s army would have worn around his neck.
The inch-long penis and testicle pendant – found, of all places, in Horncastle – would have been used to impress women.

It was considered a symbol of virility, and the soldier seemingly would have wanted it to impress the ‘camp followers’ who accompanied legions two millenia ago.
The pendant has been buried for 2,000 years

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/13/someone-found-a-mini-roman-dildo-when-out-treasure-hunting-in-lincolnshire-6065437/#ixzz4HDoAnmcP

History eh?

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
I think these phallic symbols were very common in the past. The origin of the leprachun is a phallic snake who awakens the Spring every year. There are still traditions in Gaelic speaking Scotland where a phallic shaped cake of bread is baked and a poem about the snake is recited as an invitation to the Spring to awaken from her winter sleep and release the water from the frozen heights.

bable shair

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its fascinating how they considered wearing them around their neck as some sort of signal to women.

I know many ancient artifacts all use the penis as a phallic symbol, I just never knew the Romans did too.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Its fascinating how they considered wearing them around their neck as some sort of signal to women.

I know many ancient artifacts all use the penis as a phallic symbol, I just never knew the Romans did too.

The Romans used to keep harmless grass snakes about their houses as kind of household gods, they believed they would protect the house and bring it good fortune. The origin of all this is the physical fact of the seed of life coming from the erect phallus. The change between erection and flaccidity is also highly symbolic of the change between winter and spring and between death and life, in effect, cyclical death and resurrection. There is, undoubtedly, something phallic about the Christian Cross - which is also worn about the neck.

Earnán Ó Maille

PI Member
Why does it have two sides? For fear she rubs one down to a nub?
That's a trick question. I presume it's so they can look at each other, while they are using the object, or maybe someone just made it for their own amusement..

Top Bottom