Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Roe McDermott "stalker" sentenced to 3 yrs in jail

page61

PI Member
There is something not quite right about this story Man who harassed women writers and journalists jailed
The guy only left his house twice in 17 years... one of the women got 450 messages. You are looking for conspiracy where there is none.

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
There is something not quite right about this story Man who harassed women writers and journalists jailed
Sounds like he needed mental help, not prison?
An unusually long article by RTE.
At the end of this article...they quote the rape crisis centre. Why?

Online harassment 'worth taking to gardaí'

Reacting to the case, the CEO of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre said it's important to note that whether online or offline, harassment of another person "is a criminal offence".

Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime, Noeline Blackwell praised the six women for coming forward, and said she believes the gardaí are "understanding more and more" how to deal with such complaints.

"We hear of people who are uncomfortable and unhappy with the kind of interactions they have online with other people, but in order for the offence of harassment to be committed, you have to establish a pattern of behaviour.

civic_critic

PI Member
That RTÉ article looks like a Message from the Oligarchs, a pure, toxic piece of propaganda. There is nothing in the article that would demonstrate actual criminal behaviour on the part of the guy who did this. Nevertheless he has been given a 5 year sentence in prison for writing what the Judge himself described as "responses to what these ladies said on the internet". He is threatened with extending that to 7 years.

There are two money-shots or payloads placed in this article:
1) Internment for social media posting.
"The court heard how Doolin had initially been remanded on bail ahead of his sentence hearing but was taken into custody after making contact with people connected to the victims. He had spent the last three months in custody."

2) The call for the removal of anonymity, again, from the establishment.
"The judge said the problem with the internet was that nobody knew who was speaking or who was out there....It used to be an advantage, now it has turned into a huge disadvantage so people have been given freedom to abuse, insult and criticise with the shield of anonymity."

Is it a co-oincidence that this judge is making these statements at this time? And over such a case of extreme suppression, with a 7 year sentence threatened, of free speech?

This reporting by RTÉ, the statements of this establishment operator and the general move by the political class in Ireland to reprise the social oppression of previous decades and the blueshirt origins of the state, are part of a conscious policy of propaganda aimed at removal of the freedoms we have gained with the internet over the last 25 years. They are elements of a gathering fascism both here in Ireland and internationally.

Superhans

Staff member
Administrator
Donator
I am sure I have seen that photo before used elsewhere, I did a reverse image check nut nothing shows.

What is weird though is how every news outlet is using the same image.

Screenshot - 2019-11-15T153400.391.png

Sailor

PI Member
Sounds like he needed mental help, not prison?
An unusually long article by RTE.
At the end of this article...they quote the rape crisis centre. Why?

Online harassment 'worth taking to gardaí'

Reacting to the case, the CEO of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre said it's important to note that whether online or offline, harassment of another person "is a criminal offence".

Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime, Noeline Blackwell praised the six women for coming forward, and said she believes the gardaí are "understanding more and more" how to deal with such complaints.

"We hear of people who are uncomfortable and unhappy with the kind of interactions they have online with other people, but in order for the offence of harassment to be committed, you have to establish a pattern of behaviour.
Because they want to portray it not as online harassment but as sexual harassment. This lot will soon be doing us for rape just for disagreeing with a woman.
And I am certain that if this had been a case of a woman harassing a few men she would have walked free with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if even that.

Sailor

PI Member
Anybody know who are these women? I’ve never heard of any of them except McDermott, who’s a sort of agony aunt, Irish Times style. And while I wouldn’t condone abusing her, the sh1te she writes would surely come under the category of extenuating circumstances.

A Voice

PI Member
Anybody know who are these women? I’ve never heard of any of them except McDermott, who’s a sort of agony aunt, Irish Times style. And while I wouldn’t condone abusing her, the sh1te she writes would surely come under the category of extenuating circumstances.
Aoife Barry used to have a column somewhere where she frequently went on about "not having a man". I think. Didn't she present on Newstalk as well? Sinéad Gleeson does book reviews on the radio. Maybe other stuff. Struggling with the rest of them, I have to admit. . .
Can't be bothered googling them either.

civic_critic

PI Member
There appears to be not a single incidence of what would be called criminal activity referenced in the article. The nearest to it is this:
"Editor of the Journal news website Sinead O'Carroll, was once contacted and told to "break both legs" after she tweeted to promote an upcoming appearance on a television programme. "
That could be an appearance on an adventure show where you might break both legs falling, it could be a reference to the showbiz phrase 'break a leg' before a performance or it could be a threat. It is presented purely as a threat without anything that might be called 'journalism' to contextualise it and make it understandable. Was that worth a 5 year prison sentence? A further threat of a up to 7 years?

Or this:
'Kate McEvoy was informed that the sender of the emails was in the area where she lived, and once when she tweeted that her housemate had gone out for the evening, he messaged: "Good I'll be over soon." '

That sounds like a threat. Is it a 5 year in prison threat? Is it something different than a hundred similar things seen across social media?
In particular, was it a private message or a public message which he thought constituted banter? We are left by the 'journalism' in a state of unknowing.

They say he sent up to 450 messages. But this seems to have been over 5 years and includes twitter, email and presumabaly other social media platofrms. You can send 20 tweets in an hour or two so how can 450 messages over 5 years add up, realistically, to harrassment? The people he is responding to are journalists.

While we don't know the details of the case and are therefore supposed to keep schtum just in case he may be a nutter, as implied, the fact appears to be that 5 years have been imposed on a working class man for nothing approching anything that could justify that opprression and he and his family don't appear to have had the resources or correct advice to fight this. It seems like a 21st century reprise of the picking over the poor for their own purposes practiced by the degenerate upper middle class trash who have run this country for a century.

Sailor

PI Member
Aoife Barry used to have a column somewhere where she frequently went on about "not having a man". I think. Didn't she present on Newstalk as well? Sinéad Gleeson does book reviews on the radio. Maybe other stuff. Struggling with the rest of them, I have to admit. . .
Can't be bothered googling them either.
I see - all major celebrities.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom