Rip off Ireland!!

• Thread starter gaelstree
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 665

Thelasthurrah

PI Member
Black pill alert!

As someone who has lived and worked in countries like Germany, UK, and Australia. I am constantly perplexed at why there isn't riots at the expense of things in Ireland.
Healthcare is basically 60 euro to even smile at a doctor, if there is a health issue then you need to take out a loan! Private care is 100 euro per month, but you still need to pay 40 euro per visit.

Car insurance & road tax ridiculous, enough said.
Rent and house prices inflated beyond belief. How do people afford to live in Ireland? Do most live hand to mouth?
I don't think Australia is a good example, from listening to retuned emigrants the price of everything is through the roof.
Healthcare costs here are a little confusing, doctors visits are expensive, but huge amounts of people have the medical or doctor only card even people earning quite good money.
The insurance companies are totally taking the piss and need to be tackled by government. The amount of business's adversely affected by
huge insurance costs is a disgrace and I believe will lead to job losses.

Thelasthurrah

PI Member
Bugger off with that talk, far cheaper in the North!
High minimum wage? Is it even a tenner an hour? Tax is high here in Germany, but you get a solid pension at the end of it, free health care up to a point, and you can afford to drive.
However, Germany also has its negatives..I've heard stories of people sending their elderly folks to Thailand and Poland to get looked after. I've also seen older germans rustling in bins for plastic bottles to trade in for a few euro.
Every country has it's negatives, there is no utopia.

Thelasthurrah

PI Member
They come her and apply immediately for medical cards and free travel. They are in the eu so entitled to it. Maybe fill a habitual residency form, that's it. Whether they're seen quickly I'm unsure. But the older the person and more urgent I doubt they'd be turned away.
I dealt recently with two eu citizens, both retired, healthcare professionals,would've been on serious money. Both here to retire... entitled to a free travel & a medical card.
And it's reciprocated for Irish people retiring to other EU countries, so I would have no problem with this.

Thelasthurrah

PI Member
look around the World. The countries where 'the woman's place is in the Home' all have a cheap cost of living. Especially where the women are married and having kids at a young age.

And the countries where women choose to work in jobs, delay motherhood, have a career, all very expensive just to survive. Expensive housing fueled by spending power.

rip off ireland is the fault of the irish public. No conspiracy needed.
Absolute bastards! Should be kept chained to the sink.

TW Tone

PI Member
PS unions did FA for their workers during the recession.

PS pay was cut by 20%.

In any other country the PS would of rioted but not Ireland.

Quite right, John. When you combine pay cuts with the higher taxes, I was down well over 25%.
That's an enormous hit. The last bit of your income is what you enjoy most, after the essentials are paid first. That bit was wiped out in my case.
Wolf is wrong. PS was badly hit. Quite a few private sector workers suffered virtually nothing.

Wolf

PI Member
Quite right, John. When you combine pay cuts with the higher taxes, I was down well over 25%.
That's an enormous hit. The last bit of your income is what you enjoy most, after the essentials are paid first. That bit was wiped out in my case.
Wolf is wrong. PS was badly hit. Quite a few private sector workers suffered virtually nothing.
The Irish PS is overpaid compared to many other European countries.
Fact.
The point is that this is driving prices in every aspect of Irish society.

Benchmarking was great in the 'good times' and welcomed by the PS, totally ignored during the downturn though.

The private sector has to live in the real world, not in a bubble.

Thelasthurrah

PI Member
Ireland is a small country. keep this shite up and we'll never get back on our feet.
I don't believe too many of our European friends are planning to retire to our "sunny" isle.
I think Portugal, Spain etc may have a far bigger issue. I think for us, it's negligible and a false argument.

IrishJohn

PI Member
Here's the root cause of the soaring cost of living in Ireland.

The report is comparing apples with oranges.

For most PS jobs you need a high level of education.

It even points that out in the report.

Davy said that at most around half of this pay gap between public and private sector workers could be attributed to differences in education, experience, qualifications and other factors.