Rip off Ireland!!

• Thread starter gaelstree
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 668

TW Tone

PI Member
I find that hard to believe, they must be getting it free in that case. Ireland for healthcare is nearly unaffordable if you are not covered privately.

I had to spend a while in the waiting room of my doctor's office recently.
During the time I waited, I observed as people came out of the doctor's room and left, checking in with reception before leaving.
I would say I saw perhaps eight patients, young, old, Irish, foreign, leave during the time I was there.

Without exaggeration, not one paid. No one gave cash or cheque, no one offered a debit card.

Wwhen my procedure was finished it was time for me to check in with reception before leaving.
I paid.

TW Tone

PI Member
Better Quality stuff at better prices

Actually, Cans of Guinness are cheaper in South American supermarkets than here.

But in fairness I have to say that bourbon or Jack Daniels is about the same price in Ireland as in the southern US state where I tend to buy it.
And I would think prices in that state are lower than national average,especially high tax northeastern and far west states.

Wolf

PI Member
chicken and egg. The minimum wage in Poland is diddly squat. And rents are cheap.

How much does a visit to the barber cost in most other countries ? rip off ireland is our own fault.
Everything in Ireland is driven by the greed of a cosseted public service.
We had the chance to bring down the cost of living when the recession hit, but FFG/Lab, the scummy PS unions and their greedy self obsessed members put a stop to it.
The dirty PS loved 'benchmarking' during the tiger years but weren't having it when the shit hit the fan.....

Wolf

PI Member
I had to spend a while in the waiting room of my doctor's office recently.
During the time I waited, I observed as people came out of the doctor's room and left, checking in with reception before leaving.
I would say I saw perhaps eight patients, young, old, Irish, foreign, leave during the time I was there.

Without exaggeration, not one paid. No one gave cash or cheque, no one offered a debit card.

Wwhen my procedure was finished it was time for me to check in with reception before leaving.
I paid.
In a decent country, a country interested in the health of its citizens/taxpayers, GP care would be free to all.

IrishJohn

PI Member
Everything in Ireland is driven by the greed of a cosseted public service.
We had the chance to bring down the cost of living when the recession hit, but FFG/Lab, the scummy PS unions and their greedy self obsessed members put a stop to it.
The dirty PS loved 'benchmarking' during the tiger years but weren't having it when the shit hit the fan.....
PS unions did FA for their workers during the recession.

PS pay was cut by 20%.

In any other country the PS would of rioted but not Ireland.

Wolf

PI Member
PS unions did FA for their workers during the recession.

PS pay was cut by 20%.

In any other country the PS would of rioted but not Ireland.
The Irish PS are paid well above the EU average.
Cosseted by cowards.
And you wonder why the cost of living here is so expensive.
Join the dots....

And before you go off on one, I'm not referring to the frontline staff who provide essential services

IrishJohn

PI Member
The Irish PS are paid well above the EU average.
Cosseted by cowards.
And you wonder why the cost of living here is so expensive.
Join the dots....

And before you go off on one, I'm not referring to the frontline staff who provide essential services

The people on the top are on big money.

But average PS worker is not rich.

congress_tart

PI Member
I find that hard to believe, they must be getting it free in that case. Ireland for healthcare is nearly unaffordable if you are not covered privately.
They come her and apply immediately for medical cards and free travel. They are in the eu so entitled to it. Maybe fill a habitual residency form, that's it. Whether they're seen quickly I'm unsure. But the older the person and more urgent I doubt they'd be turned away.
I dealt recently with two eu citizens, both retired, healthcare professionals,would've been on serious money. Both here to retire... entitled to a free travel & a medical card.

Last edited:
look around the World. The countries where 'the woman's place is in the Home' all have a cheap cost of living. Especially where the women are married and having kids at a young age.

And the countries where women choose to work in jobs, delay motherhood, have a career, all very expensive just to survive. Expensive housing fueled by spending power.

rip off ireland is the fault of the irish public. No conspiracy needed.

TheIrishRight

PI Member
Black pill alert!

As someone who has lived and worked in countries like Germany, UK, and Australia. I am constantly perplexed at why there isn't riots at the expense of things in Ireland.
Healthcare is basically 60 euro to even smile at a doctor, if there is a health issue then you need to take out a loan! Private care is 100 euro per month, but you still need to pay 40 euro per visit.

Car insurance & road tax ridiculous, enough said.
Rent and house prices inflated beyond belief. How do people afford to live in Ireland? Do most live hand to mouth?
Many don't have health insurance or their company provides it. Rent is atrocious most consider housemates until mid 30s normal now. Groceries , well lidl and Aldi do a roaring trade with those struggling. People manage, it's far from ideal lifestyle tbh. Country life is superior