Revive the Irish Language and the everything else will follow.

blackout

PI Member
Language is only a means of communicating, nothing more, nothing less.
Everything started out as a grunt and evolved in different ways as families and tribes moved about
To claim that a language is assigned by some superior deity to different peoples tribes etc is totally ridiculous.
Today English is the dominant language of this planet, maybe in the future another may take over. Dragging a language back from the grave is like trying to resuscitate my deceased grandma. Total insanity. Live and enjoy life with our present knowledge and expand on that. Life is too short to be fanatical.
well i wouldnt say languages cant come back , noone knew what egyptian was for a few hundred years until the rosetta stone was found and people learned how to transcribe it.

An Dlí Dearmadta

PI Member
Language is only a means of communicating, nothing more, nothing less.
Everything started out as a grunt and evolved in different ways as families and tribes moved about
To claim that a language is assigned by some superior deity to different peoples tribes etc is totally ridiculous.
Today English is the dominant language of this planet, maybe in the future another may take over. Dragging a language back from the grave is like trying to resuscitate my deceased grandma. Total insanity. Live and enjoy life with our present knowledge and expand on that. Life is too short to be fanatical.
The stupidity in your post is so consistent that I do not know where to start, so I shall not. Please refrain from such discussions in the future. Thanks

Irish emigrant

PI Member
The stupidity in your post is so consistent that I do not know where to start, so I shall not. Please refrain from such discussions in the future. Thanks
Just escape from your simple minded cocoon and get out and face the world. Reality is not hiding under the table

An Dlí Dearmadta

PI Member
Just escape from your simple minded cocoon and get out and face the world. Reality is not hiding under the table
If everybody had your attitude, and thank god they don't, Gaeilge would be dead hundreds of years ago. The Gaelic revival refused to accept the new reality of the day. We have hurling and Gaelic football as dominant sports today because of it. They brought back a dead granny because it was important for culture.

Irish emigrant

PI Member
If everybody had your attitude, and thank god they don't, Gaeilge would be dead hundreds of years ago. The Gaelic revival refused to accept the new reality of the day. We have hurling and Gaelic football as dominant sports today because of it. They brought back a dead granny because it was important for culture.
Why are you thanking the fairy in the sky. Wonder if the millions who starved in famine have thanked it.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Why are you thanking the fairy in the sky. Wonder if the millions who starved in famine have thanked it.

If everyone had your attitude, the tyrants of the world would sleep easy - knowing that nobody thought it worth the effort to oppose them.

well i wouldnt say languages cant come back , noone knew what egyptian was for a few hundred years until the rosetta stone was found and people learned how to transcribe it.
there are no working-class Egyptians speaking the language of the Pharoes at the local Souk. Buying and selling fruit.

just the same with Gaeilge in ireland.

Dead languages exist in Universities. Living languages live among rich and poor people alike. Try selling a second hand car in your Gaeltacht region. As Gaeilge. You would last approximately 5 minutes before reverting to either English or English with a Polish flavour.

Irish emigrant

PI Member
If everyone had your attitude, the tyrants of the world would sleep easy - knowing that nobody thought it worth the effort to oppose them.
Do not know of any deity who took the Irish peasant side in the famine era or any other time in Irish history in spite of all the praying and pleading for intersession from above.