• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Renua want to scrap the Leaving Cert

seabhcan

PI Member
It seems that Renua don't like this academic focus and want 70% of the Leaving Cert to be apprenticeship-based, focusing on: "[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]careers in tourism, hospitality, retail, fashion and design, agriculture, car maintenance, or crafts and trades like woodwork, metalwork and construction studies."[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Seems like Renua think Irish people are being educated above their station and need to take their ambitions down a peg. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.thejournal.ie/renua-leaving-cert-2528833-Jan2016/[/font]

Madam

PI Member
Just about to make this post myself.

I still find it hard why anyone gives Lucinda the time of day, her one TD party will get no extra TD`s in the coming election and she will be first on the que to prop up the next FG government.

With all that said,I do think she has a good point. A lot of the leaving cert is a waste of time as we simply dont have the jobs, not all students have the same academic levels and it would be nice to have a better choice for pupils that would fair better with a skill set.

OP
S

seabhcan

PI Member
Madam said:
Just about to make this post myself.

I still find it hard why anyone gives Lucinda the time of day, her one TD party will get no extra TD`s in the coming election and she will be first on the que to prop up the next FG government.

With all that said,I do think she has a good point.  A lot of the leaving cert is a waste of time as we simply dont have the jobs, not all students have the same academic levels and it would be nice to have a better choice for pupils that would fair better with a skill set.
Choice is of course important and perhaps her plan is a little garbled by the media. But on the face of it, it sounds like she wants to make everyone do an apprenticeship - which is daft. There isn't the need nor the places for that number.

There are apprenticeship programs right now, and lots of people make a good living after. But its not for everyone.

Ren84

PI Member
What is it with the right wing, regardless of what country they're in, and their apparent hatred of university level education? It's the same in Britain where the Tories are trying to encourage more people to take up apprenticeships. Is there an ideological reason for this?

Rick

Administrator
Ren84 said:
What is it with the right wing, regardless of what country they're in, and their apparent hatred of university level education? It's the same in Britain where the Tories are trying to encourage more people to take up apprenticeships. Is there an ideological reason for this?
Has to be to do with costs and savings, its always a case of follow the money with these types.

OP
S

seabhcan

PI Member
Ren84 said:
They want to eliminate university education for other people's children, not their own.

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
PI Member
Cant understand all the hate, I dont have any issues with what she has said. It cant always be about high level education.

OP
S

seabhcan

PI Member
Sinbad said:
Cant understand all the hate, I dont have any issues with what she has said. It cant always be about high level education.
She isn't talking about providing non-leaving cert options, she wants to scrap it for everyone.

Top Bottom