Remembering Michael Collins who died for Ireland on this Day 96 Years ago

Rosa Luxombourg

PI Member
Lots of nonesense talked about Collins, their is now a huge cult following too, and no I'm not FF, Dev was an absolute fraud

Dublin Stan

PI Member
Lots of nonesense talked about Collins, their is now a huge cult following too, and no I'm not FF, Dev was an absolute fraud
I wouldn't call Dev an outright fraud. MI6 and others closer to home had his number. He was a leader as he could lead dangrous men by the nose, as Gerry Adams could

Storybud2

PI Member
Just thinking if Collins was around today who would he put up against the wall first ? Bertie or Vlad ?

Cos we have never seen two bigger traitors in this Country's short history,,

Rosa Luxombourg

PI Member
Well Devs bull about the Oath led to a civil war, his disenfranchisement of small investors in "The Irish Press( one of whom was my Grandfather) was fraud pure and simple, The DeValeras did well from The Press though.

colm from clonmel

PI Member
Poster hee haw is trolling the thread with inflammatory abusive comments and repeated questions to which answers have been provided.
He should be banned.
No he should be allowed to continue. We either believe in free speech or we don't. Let him spew his racist filth.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Well Devs bull about the Oath led to a civil war, his disenfranchisement of small investors in "The Irish Press( one of whom was my Grandfather) was fraud pure and simple, The DeValeras did well from The Press though.
It should be acknowledged that most of those who engaged in the Irish Civil War did so on the basis of principle and conviction.
They were nearly all very young men and women imbued with strong ideological motives.
At this stage nearly a century later the continued attribution of blame and failure etc to any of these brave people must end.
It serves no purpose .
Both Collins and DeValera were great men in different ways.

There is no doubt in my mind that Collins was a superb military organiser but not a politician.
Had he lived it is doubtful he would have the skills to steer Ireland safely through WW2 .

The Field Marshal

PI Member
It is not nonsense.
Collins was unique in Irish history in that for the first time he destroyed entirely the ability of the occupying British forces to know what the Irish were up to.

That took immense courage .
Had Collins been captured during the Irish war of Independence he would have been certainly hung.
He ran that daily risk for nearly two years.

He also had great organizational skills managing to conduct a clandestine guerilla war and a National Loan to help fund the fledgling Irish govt.
He then had to found an official army for that new state.

Top Bottom