Remembering Michael Collins who died for Ireland on this Day 96 Years ago

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Premium

Mícheál Ó Coileáin

16 October 1890 – 22 August 1922

In Memory of one of the Greatest Human Beings that ever lived.

Economist.

Statesman.

Freedom Fighter.

Leader.

Politician.

Writer.

Champion Dog Breeder.

Mastermind of our 1st Brexit.

Character.

Son.

Brother.

Friend.

Commander in Chief of Provisional Government Forces & 4th Northern Division IRA.

Always in my Heart Mick.

D.

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Premium
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Martin McGuinness - an Enemy of Ireland, does not belong anywhere near this Tribute Thread to our Greatest National Patriot.

I thank TG for giving my OP the like & I know that TG feels very let down by the shortcomings in that Treaty & the mass infiltration of those transitional Provisional Govt Structures (that Michael tactically used) with actual 5th Column Free State Sh1t which support our Overlordship by Goldman Sachs.

Martin McGuinness - an Enemy of Ireland, does not belong anywhere near this Tribute Thread to our Greatest National Patriot.
''In the course of a long interview with President De Valera in Áras an Uachtaráin in 1964, I asked him who he would consider - besides himself - the Irishman who contributed most between 1918 and 1921.

I watched his face for a reaction, and after a minute or two he said he wouldn't like to single out anyone. I waited a full minute before I put the vital question that I felt I had to ask, where he would place Collins.

His reply was: "Oh, I chose Collins as Director of Intelligence on the General Headquarters staff in 1919. He was clearly cut out for the job."

Dev changed the subject gently. I saw a sudden sadness in his eyes which this memory had caused him.

It was Kathleen Behan, (Brendan Behan's mother) who found a wonderful name for Collins. She called him 'My Laughing Boy'.

This inspired her son Brendan to write that superb ballad which he used to sing with enthusiasm and passion in McDaids and other pubs in Dublin.''

The laughing boy

T'was on an August morning, all in the dawning hours,
I went to take the warming air, all in the Mouth of Flowers,
And there I saw a maiden, and mournful was her cry,
'Ah what will mend my broken heart, I've lost my Laughing Boy.

So strong, so wild, and brave he was, I'll mourn his loss too sore,
When thinking that I'll hear the laugh or springing step no more.
Ah, curse the times and sad the loss my heart to crucify,
That an Irish son with a rebel gun shot down my Laughing Boy.

Oh had he died by Pearse's side or in the GPO,
Killed by an English bullet from the rifle of the foe,
Or forcibly fed with Ashe lay dead in the dungeons of Mountjoy,
I'd have cried with pride for the way he died, my own dear Laughing Boy.

My princely love, can ageless love do more than tell to you,
Go raibh mile maith agat for all you tried to do,
For all you did, and would have done, my enemies to destroy,
I'll mourn your name and praise your fame, forever, my Laughing Boy.'

Brendan Behan 1923-1964

- Poetry: Brendan's fine ballad inspired by Collins

Michael Collins - 1890 to 1917

There's a cracking version of Skibbereen 6 minutes in.

''Collins is known to have been looking "very pleased" at hearing of the shooting of Wilson, on the subsequent evidence of one of his generals. He even tried to arrange a rescue attempt for the two assassins. This was something that had been accomplished before but the agent who investigated the possibility on this occasion reported it to be impossible. The Free State government made an official plea for mercy for the two men the day before execution but the Home Secretary rejected this out of hand. Dunne and Sullivan were hanged at Wandsworth Jail on the 16th August. Colleagues of Collins remarked that at this time he seemed listless and dejected and he answered one very close friend’s query as to how he was with the reply: "Rotten". Perhaps the execution – certainly the assault on the Four Courts - was a kind of last straw for outright Republicans. Collins was himself now assassinated in an ambush near Cork, only days later on the 22nd. He is widely credited with expecting the retaliation and is now revered as a national hero and the founder of the modern Irish army.

Certainly, the extended family of Sullivan, through a Bantry cousin, wrote to him in his last days in a spirited way: “I am proud of the honour of being a cousin of yours, it is with pride that I can hold up my head and say that I had a cousin who died for Ireland. It was a good day for Ireland the day yourself and your hero of a companion went out and layed the second Cromwell dead at your feet. You need not be afraid to meet your God.”

The Free State was formally founded in October 1922, when a mutually agreed constitution was adopted. By 1932, Republicans had stormed ahead in Free State elections and increased disconnection with Britain ensued. By 1936 a new constitution was adopted in what would briefly be called Eire. In 1949, the Republic of Ireland was established and accepted by the UK.

Over four decades after the executions, it was Patrick O’Sullivan who first applied to have the remains of the men removed from Wandsworth the prison cemetery in 1966.'' - The London Brigade of the IRA

Anglophile

PI Member
Collins was a mass murderer during the War of Independence.

Being killed in the Civil War was rough ( poetic? ) justice.

Myles O'Reilly

Top Bloke
Donator
PI Member
Brendan Behan looks like the lad of d'Unbelievables

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Premium
Collins was a mass murderer during the War of Independence.

Being killed in the Civil War was rough ( poetic? ) justice.
Ah yeah but back in the day genocidal subhuman filth & dirt like you deserved it.

The ordinary fellas in the British Army didn't.

Mick had the Beach Head Secured before he died.

Pity we didn't meet back then...

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Premium
Brendan Behan looks like the lad of d'Unbelievables

I know we don't get on & stuff but this is a Commemoration Thread please don't post that kind of Material here.

I must admit it is funny & a well researched Comparator but no matter what you think of Michael, a popular IRB Leader's Tribute should not be on the same page as such - 4th Northern Division 'n all that...

Anglophile

PI Member
Ah yeah but back in the day genocidal subhuman filth & dirt like you deserved it.

The ordinary fellas in the British Army didn't.

Mick had the Beach Head Secured before he died.

Pity we didn't meet back then...

:smiley:

Top Bottom