Religion...does it do anything for you ?

cyberianpan

PI Member
I have read up widely on various religions...both Eastern and Western...both fringe cults and established...both monotheistic and polytheistic and...this is my take

1] I don't find the core tenets of any of them relevant or meaningful
2] Some of the aesthetics of them are deeply alluring (incense...glittery stuff...beautiful buildings)
3] Some of the moral theory is sound
4] Much of the material in the books of the Abrahmic religions is in fact not religious...they are almanacs of food acience, agriculture...political science etc

I don’t describe myself as either atheist or agnostic...I just view any religion I have been shown so far as "not even wrong"

I do however subscribe loosely to the New Mysterian position...and am perfectly happy to concede that there may be a God...and that that God have Gods too...in a "turtles all the way up" inversion ...but I have no interest in such speculation

I have no objections to people being religious...so long as they don’t abuse that in order to impinge on anyone's human rights

Cyp

Sidewinder

PI Member
Let's not turn this place into religion.ie. There is altogether far too much demented swivel-eyed bead-rattling loony religious warbling over on the other place. In truth religious impulses are rapidly dying out in most developed countries, apart from the US

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-12811197

42% of Kiwis are atheist, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_New_Zealand and by the time of the next Census Christianity will probably have become a minority position.

So this stuff is increasingly irrelevant to most of the population under 50. It only retains its iron grip on politics because, as we all know....the elderly vote. But in 20 years time there won't be many votes in pandering to elderly religious conservatives and the utility of politicians using religious dog whistles will diminish sharply.

I could go on (and on, and on) about the myriad reasons why religion should be actively scorned and marginalised but I think most people in the really real world have figured most of those reasons out for themselves already. It's really only online where you encounter these hordes of demented religious fanatics these days.

Like the Harrisite Partitionists, they are everywhere online trying to throw shapes and act as if they are somehow the True Voice Of The People, when what they actually are is a tiny disgruntled alienated and very very weird minority of busybodies, freaks and cranks.

page61

PI Member
Im thinking of forming a new cult, I was thinking of calling it the "Your either for me or against me Cult" it'l be a win win . could even be bigger than Elvis

Eirwatcher

PI Member
The thread title shows a typical bias in our individualistic contemporary social atmosphere - does Religion do anything for me? Christianity is as much about what we do for others, which ultimately will reflect on us all.

I have no objections to people being religious...so long as they don’t abuse that in order to impinge on anyone's human rights
And what if a person's religion leads them to impose or impinge on the "rights" one person or group claims, as a consequence of defending the rights of another person or group, especially a minority?
Religion provided the moral basis for the establishment of the original charter of human rights, without whose continuing influence "rights" become just a brand name for a collection of relativistic contemporary social mores, which can change with social fashion, and lead "rights" to be used as a tool for one group to oppress another - the very opposite of the original meaning of human rights.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
The thread title shows a typical bias in our individualistic contemporary social atmosphere - does Religion do anything for me? Christianity is as much about what we do for others, which ultimately will reflect on us all.

And what if a person's religion leads them to impose or impinge on the "rights" one person or group claims, as a consequence of defending the rights of another person or group, especially a minority?
Religion provided the moral basis for the establishment of the original charter of human rights, without whose continuing influence "rights" become just a brand name for a collection of relativistic contemporary social mores, which can change with social fashion, and lead "rights" to be used as a tool for one group to oppress another - the very opposite of the original meaning of human rights.
Where do human rights come from?
If you say from every human then it leads to anarchy.
HR,s come from law.
Can they come from human law?
No, because human law varies enormously.

Human rights law therefore to be consistent and true must come from Gods law.

The only true Gods laws are those expounded by the Catholic Church.

Religion is the indefinable, occluded quest, which uidluias pursue. It realises itself in the ecstatic ascendancy found in magic symbol, whichever creed it happens to belong to. Every man should have his own religious anarchy, which draws on all faith, like pastiche. Pure pre-organisation of the spiritual in man is for the unheroic masses. This is the only quest of man; ascending the staircase of many names; the phallic elongation that is the mystic tower.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Religion is the indefinable, occluded quest, which the heroic pursue. It realises itself in the ecstatic ascendancy found in magic symbol, whichever creed it happens to belong to. Every man should have his own religious anarchy, which draws on all faith, like pastiche. Pure pre-organisation of the spiritual in man is for the unheroic masses. This is the only quest of man; ascending the staircase of many names; the phallic elongation that is the mystic tower.
Not quite half right.
God too reaches out His hand to man and to woman.
Any ascent is only possible when both hands meet.

Not quite half right.
God too reaches out His hand to man and to woman.
Any ascent is only possible when both hands meet.
Then why have I had mystical experiences without the aid of Elohim? I have stared at cathedral windows for hours and have been seized by intense occult ecstacy. I don't need initiation in order to climb the tower; I have discovered my own religion; of personal anarchy.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Then why have I had mystical experiences without the aid of Elohim? I have stared at cathedral windows for hours and have been seized by intense occult ecstacy. I don't need initiation in order to climb the tower; I have discovered my own religion; of personal anarchy.
If you need to even ask why you have had “ mystical “ experiences then allow me explain that anybody who has ever had a real mystical experience does not need to ask why it happened.
Also staring at cathederal windows for hours can inculcate zombie behaviour so watch it.
Finally , anarchy and peacefulness are opposed in my view and a reliable primary attribute of God is the latter.
Also try and get a little more of God’s fresh air.

If you need to even ask why you have had “ mystical “ experiences then allow me explain that anybody who has ever had a real mystical experience does not need to ask why it happened.
Also staring at cathederal windows for hours can inculcate zombie behaviour so watch it.
Finally , anarchy and peacefulness are opposed in my view and a reliable primary attribute of God is the latter.
Also try and get a little more of God’s fresh air.
Your religion sounds like one of servitude. I have use for Christian symbols, and they are part of my heritage, but I don't see any reason for initiating myself in to Christendom. Religion should serve the individual, not the other way around; and that is why every uidluias should construct his own faith, like pastiche.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Your religion sounds like one of servitude. I have use for Christian symbols, and they are part of my heritage, but I don't see any reason for initiating myself in to Christendom. Religion should serve the individual, not the other way around; and that is why every uidluias should construct his own faith, like pastiche.
All material that exists and every living creature are subject to Gods dominion.
That is not servitude but reality.
I suspect you believe in some type of God so it’s importent you find the actual one that exists.
For me anyway, the only God that can logically exist is the God presented to the world by the institution known as the Roman Catholic Church and its current pope Benedict XVI.

Top Bottom