Referendum on Blasphemy

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
On Friday 26th October 2018 you will be asked to vote in a referendum on Blasphemy. Voting in the presidential election will take place on the same day.

Screenshot (52).png
Screenshot (53).png
Screenshot (54).png
Screenshot (55).png

Threads
More taxpayer-funded propaganda from the Referendum Commission. You'd swear the dungeons were overflowing with casual atheists and the irreligious.

It's important to note this isn't a "Free Speech Referendum". It's just another arbitrary attack against the Christian character and tradition of this Country. They'll only replace it with provisions for Hate Speech. So don't be fooled into thinking they'll ever use this constitutional article to lock up those critical of Islam for example. No, we'll be locked up for racist Islamophobia under Orwellian hate speech legislation instead. Much more progressive of them.

I'm voting No largely to kick one against the pricks. But I'll shed no tears when it's a Yes vote, as it invariably will be. I hope at least 20% or so of people vote No and the Left wails about the "20% of hardcore reactionary Catholics in Ireland"!

TheKing

King of Fine Gael
Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Are they up to anything sneaky? Is this a precursor to introducing even more draconian "hate" laws?
That would be my worry, I can't for my life understand why they would want this removed unless its to introduce something worse.

Notice how this is hardly getting any mention in the press either, its as if they don't want anyone discussing this referendum.

If they introduced new hate laws would this need to go to a referendum?

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
More taxpayer-funded propaganda from the Referendum Commission. You'd swear the dungeons were overflowing with casual atheists and the irreligious.

It's important to note this isn't a "Free Speech Referendum". It's just another arbitrary attack against the Christian character and tradition of this Country. They'll only replace it with provisions for Hate Speech. So don't be fooled into thinking they'll ever use this constitutional article to lock up those critical of Islam for example. No, we'll be locked up for racist Islamophobia under Orwellian hate speech legislation instead. Much more progressive of them.

I'm voting No largely to kick one against the pricks. But I'll shed no tears when it's a Yes vote, as it invariably will be. I hope at least 20% or so of people vote No and the Left wails about the "20% of hardcore reactionary Catholics in Ireland"!
I am going to vote No in order to troll the readership of The Irish Times but if I thought there was any chance of the No side winning I would vote Yes because pound to a penny if blasphemy laws were to be used they would be used only against Traditionalist Catholics and Evangelical Protestants complaining about other Religions.

OP
OP
Superhans

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
It seems to be a straightforward repeal without replacement.
I don't see anything about replacing "blasphemy" with "hate speech", which is what I initially feared.

So I'll definitely be voting Yes.
They wouldn't be so obvious though would they, a be hate speech law would come months later.

Tom

Eirú Sean Gael
PI Member
Threads
It seems to be a straightforward repeal without replacement.
I don't see anything about replacing "blasphemy" with "hate speech", which is what I initially feared.

So I'll definitely be voting Yes.
True, but the Oireachtas can then make laws, say FF/FG need support from a left party a deal may be done on hate speech.

Threads
True, but the Oireachtas can then make laws, say FF/FG need support from a left party a deal may be done on hate speech.
Both of those parties already support hate speech laws. Fiona O'Loughlin in particular has been rattling on about it. I'll not vote for Fianna Fail until that crook Martin and his cronies are gone.

Top Bottom