Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

COVID 19 - Alt Views Real men don’t wear masks

HouseCarl

PI Member
I never wear a mask on the street but always wear one in the shops. I don't see the point of antagonising people. Last year at the height of the paranoia I was in a que at the counter without a mask and coughed a couple of times. The elderly lady in front of me turned around with a look of absolute fear in her eyes as if I was going to infect her.
Thers a lot of people living in fear and terror whilst out shopping I don't see the point in adding to it.
That's the way the Govt/RTE wants them, scared to death.

OP
IrishJohn

IrishJohn

PI Member
If you are asked to do so in a polite manner, why not be polite back and say that there is no requirement that you wear a mask on the street or outdoors? And that you do not want to wear it.

The person who asked might have an underlying issue which makes covid dangerous for them and that prevents them wearing a mask themselves. You of all people should know about that.

You should mind your own business.

Its not your job to "challenge" people for not wearing masks.

I can see someone getting killed in a mask confrontation.

If somebody can be killed over a parking space its only a matter of time before we see serious violence in relation to mask compliance.

Myles O'Reilly

PI Member
If you are asked to do so in a polite manner, why not be polite back and say that there is no requirement that you wear a mask on the street or outdoors? And that you do not want to wear it. The person who asked might have an underlying issue which makes covid dangerous for them and that prevents them wearing a mask themselves. You of all people should know about that.
That's silly Charlotte. Even if they had a condition why would they need someone on the street/in a park to wear a mask?

Charlottesweb

PI Member
You should mind your own business.

Its not your job to "challenge" people for not wearing masks.

I can see someone getting killed in a mask confrontation.

If somebody can be killed over a parking space its only a matter of time before we see serious violence in relation to mask compliance.

But the point im making is that you dont need to be aggressive. If somebody said to you, would you mind wearing a mask in an indoor space because im recovering from lung cancer and i cant catch covid, or i will die would you still tell them to f off and mind their business?

Im not commenting about maskwearing. This is a question of decency and manners. If somebody is respectful and mannerly in their approavh to you, you should reciprocate surely.

Charlottesweb

PI Member
That's silly Charlotte. Even if they had a condition why would they need someone on the street/in a park to wear a mask?

Again, this isnt about masks its about decency. Even if it makes no sense to mask up outside, if someone asks you nicely why not respond nicely ? No need to tell them about why you think covid is this or that, you are entitled just to say no.

If someone asked me outside to wear a mask, i would do so if i am in their vicinity out of respect, presuming they asked nicely.

Eriugena

PI Member
Again, this isnt about masks its about decency. Even if it makes no sense to mask up outside, if someone asks you nicely why not respond nicely ? No need to tell them about why you think covid is this or that, you are entitled just to say no.

If someone asked me outside to wear a mask, i would do so if i am in their vicinity out of respect, presuming they asked nicely.
One can't argue against civility. However, a lot of these interventions seem to be by Karen-types, according to reports. I don't really know, because not once has anyone even looked at me askance for not wearing a mask.

OP
IrishJohn

IrishJohn

PI Member
Try it in my place and you would be on the dole.
They are mandatory everywhere.

If you get sacked for having a mask exemption you would be able to make a big claim against your employer.

Top Bottom