• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Rathgar Immigrant yaps that he hasn't got Roof Top Access & a Free Gym at his Doorstep

Peter Schlemihl

PI Member
Mr Karim has offered to pay the membership fee and it seems he (and any other social housing tenants who wish to pay to be able to use the gym) are not allowed to do so simply because they are social housing tenants. They may have a case under the Equal Status Acts. The Article states that the company looking after the DCC tenants does not pay the full manangement fee so it is reasonable that the DCC tenants would have to pay to use the facilities but it is not reasonable that they are not allowed to pay - unless membership is full but that is apparently not the case.

It doesn't follow that all the other residents are owner occupiers. Some of the other units may have been bought by investors who will have easily found tenants for an upmarket well located complex like Marianella. And, some of these tenants, could be having their rent partly funded by the HAP scheme, and they would be able to use the gym and to have pets.
Even then though, Mr. Karim requires social housing but is, however, capable of affording the €3,454 - €4,318 cost of ‘Residents Club’ membership?

Florence

PI Member
Only been in Ireland a year apparently. He had a working visa in Canada. The waiting list in South Dublin is around 7 years. How did he go to the top of the queue?
If this is true, it is shocking. In my experience, I have friends on the list, the wait is much longer than 7 years for a nice area in Dublin. As I said in an earlier post you can, as a single person, be on the housing list if your income is not more than NET 35k (equiv 43.5k gross). If his income is close to that figure he could afford to pay the expensive gym rate. But how on earth did he get one of the 19 places in Marianella with a year's residence in the first place?

the Irish Times should investigate this!!!!!!

Rosa Luxombourg

PI Member
Took a room in the house of a black family at one stage for a spell, used the bathroom and toilet on the first floor until one day the black mama told me that" The tenants use the downstairs toilet", what a kip it was too, how is that for discrimination?

Peter Schlemihl

PI Member
As I said in an earlier post you can, as a single person, be on the housing list if your income is not more than NET 35k (equiv 43.5k gross). If his income is close to that figure he could afford to pay the expensive gym rate
It is less a question of actual ability to afford it. I appreciate how Government subsidised housing enables Mr. Karim to afford an exorbitant membership fee, what I fail to appreciate is why Government subsidised housing enables Mr. Karim to afford an exorbitant membership fee. Especially considering that the average gym membership fee is a tenth of that. I am proud of our welfare but this is ridiculous - he would be spending a tenth of his income on access to a gym, a cinema and a conference room - particularly if the claim that he arrived in 2019 is true.

Last edited:

Peter Schlemihl

PI Member

congress_tart

PI Member

Peter Schlemihl

PI Member
Seriously wtf!!
I assume that he had to have had residence in Ireland prior to relocating to Canada but presumably that would annul any existing social housing application? In the Irish Times article he states that he relocated to Rathgar from Dartry in January 2019, the only way in which his Twitter comments are consistent is if they are describing an experience from years ago.

Edit: Read through his Twitter. The Canada experience dates from 2015, though when it was that he arrived in Ireland is unclear. Assuming that he completed his two-year stay in Canada, the earliest he would have arrived is 2017. Apparently he has a history of claiming discrimination.

Last edited:
Mr Karim has offered to pay the membership fee and it seems he (and any other social housing tenants who wish to pay to be able to use the gym) are not allowed to do so simply because they are social housing tenants. They may have a case under the Equal Status Acts. The Article states that the company looking after the DCC tenants does not pay the full manangement fee so it is reasonable that the DCC tenants would have to pay to use the facilities but it is not reasonable that they are not allowed to pay - unless membership is full but that is apparently not the case.

It doesn't follow that all the other residents are owner-occupiers. Some of the other units may have been bought by investors who will have easily found tenants for an upmarket well located complex like Marianella. And, some of these tenants, could be having their rent partly funded by the HAP scheme, and they would be able to use the gym and to have pets.
Even so, access depends on the owner of the property. The council owns the property within which Mr Karim and other council tenants reside. They have not paid ( and are not obliged to pay) the management fees with regard to access to the gym, rooftop or concierge service. As the majority of private renters would know, access to onsite facilities, or lack of, along with a pet or no pet policy, would make up part of your rental agreement with your landlord. Applying directly to the management company of a complex for extra accesses would be disregarded. You would have to contact your landlord pay them the management fees and have them negotiate access for you. I would presume that the council would assume that people who require council housing could not afford the annual maintenance fees to access the additional onsite facilities. With regard to pets, this is also a landlord decision. Pets can cause major issues in a complex where there is no direct access to outside space, especially in an apartment complex where you have to be committed to paying attention to their outdoor needs and the wear and tear they can inflict on a property. Yes, I can imagine some owner/ residents have pets, but I would imagine most landlords have a no pet policy.

Top Bottom