• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Rathgar Immigrant yaps that he hasn't got Roof Top Access & a Free Gym at his Doorstep

jpc

PI Member
I doubt mr karim pays the massive management company fees that fund amenities like onsite gyms.

Maybe he should console himself with living in a really nice part of dublin, in an A rated home, with easy access to all the facilities of rathgar and terenure, for a fraction of the cost that the majority of his neighbours are paying.
Entitlement innit!

cello

PI Member
The Irish Times article raises relevant questions - DCC has bought 19 units in the upmarket Marianella complex in Rathgar under Part V of the Housing Act 2000 which was intended to introduce some sort of social mix into private housing estates. The DCC tenants have all been put in a block called Orwell Hall and excluded from benefits , other than the gym, that the non social tenants/owners enjoy. For example, they cannot have pets, as the other residents can.

It sounds like apartheid in Rathgar.
It's almost like Rathgar people don't like pigeon clubs, pit bulls or goats.

GlesgaPapist

PI Member
And he'll be posting photos of his nice lifestyle to his friends and family on social media who will be clamouring onto trucks as we speak.
Of course. It's only natural for people to aspire to a more comfortable lifestyle. I can sympathise with Syrian refugees to a great degree, as they're genuinely fleeing a war zone. The things that bother me about refugees in the UK, is that there is little chance they're ever going to return to their homeland. The majority are economic migrants, not people genuinely seeking international protection.

I live in former social housing, and some of my neighbours are still 'council' tenants. It's certainly true that those who don't own their properties generally don't maintain them as well as home owners, which again is quite natural. To me, it's completely understandable that a housing block with communal facilities like a gym are reserved for home owners.

Tuco Salamanca

PI Member
"Tenia Karim says soon after he moved into his one-bedroom apartment in January 2019 he left his gym in nearby Dartry to join the gym on his doorstep.

However Mr Karim was told he could not join because he lives in Orwell Hall."

“I was brought up with principles and dignity.

This hurts my dignity.

They do not like when I say ‘discrimination’ but what other word do they want to use?”

Oh poor Tenia, maybe if we bump into any of his Friends in the Irish Pub Kurdistan we'll have a Drink & commiserate or as Basil Fawlty would say order him a Tea Cosy for his Pepper Pot...

NB: NO YOBBOSPEAK / CATCALLING ON THIS THREAD!
Is this a p1ss take?

El Chaval.

PI Member
Of course. It's only natural for people to aspire to a more comfortable lifestyle. I can sympathise with Syrian refugees to a great degree, as they're genuinely fleeing a war zone. The things that bother me about refugees in the UK, is that there is little chance they're ever going to return to their homeland. The majority are economic migrants, not people genuinely seeking international protection.

I live in former social housing, and some of my neighbours are still 'council' tenants. It's certainly true that those who don't own their properties generally don't maintain them as well as home owners, which again is quite natural. To me, it's completely understandable that a housing block with communal facilities like a gym are reserved for home owners.
We have no idea who these Syrian refugees are.
We don't know if they are "on the run" from the cops.
We don't even know if they are actual Syrians.
The U.K and Ireland have zero diplomatic or intelligence contacts with the Syrian counterparts so there is zero vetting.

Florence

PI Member
Judging by the dislike I've just received, D4 seems to think that Mr Karim has a legitimate grievance.

Mr Karim has offered to pay the membership fee and it seems he (and any other social housing tenants who wish to pay to be able to use the gym) are not allowed to do so simply because they are social housing tenants. They may have a case under the Equal Status Acts. The Article states that the company looking after the DCC tenants does not pay the full manangement fee so it is reasonable that the DCC tenants would have to pay to use the facilities but it is not reasonable that they are not allowed to pay - unless membership is full but that is apparently not the case.

It doesn't follow that all the other residents are owner occupiers. Some of the other units may have been bought by investors who will have easily found tenants for an upmarket well located complex like Marianella. And, some of these tenants, could be having their rent partly funded by the HAP scheme, and they would be able to use the gym and to have pets.

Conall Gulban

Staff member
PI Member
Mr Karim has offered to pay the membership fee and it seems he (and any other social housing tenants who wish to pay to be able to use the gym) are not allowed to do so simply because they are social housing tenants. They may have a case under the Equal Status Acts. The Article states that the company looking after the DCC tenants does not pay the full manangement fee so it is reasonable that the DCC tenants would have to pay to use the facilities but it is not reasonable that they are not allowed to pay - unless membership is full but that is apparently not the case.

It doesn't follow that all the other residents are owner occupiers. Some of the other units may have been bought by investors who will have easily found tenants for an upmarket well located complex like Marianella. And, some of these tenants, could be having their rent partly funded by the HAP scheme, and they would be able to use the gym and to have pets.
Mr Karim got himself an apartment worth 650k
At the risk of sounding harsh he should shut his effing mouth and be grateful for what he has received at the expense of the Irish taxpayer. Otherwise he might pack his bags and gtfo of this country and try his luck elsewhere.

El Chaval.

PI Member
Mr Karim got himself an apartment worth 650k
At the risk of sounding harsh he should shut his effing mouth and be grateful for what he has received at the expense of the Irish taxpayer. Otherwise he might pack his bags and gtfo of this country and try his luck elsewhere.
Yup. Last time I was in Ireland, I (an Irishman) was told I was unable to claim welfare as I'd be out of the country for more than 2 years (even though I was working in another EU country. I had to sleep on sofas until I was able to leave again.
These stories make me furious.

Top Bottom